Honored Contributor

Re: Do you decorate the same every year or change it up?

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I mostly change up the greenery.  Many of my items (handmade Santas, or angels) are too large to move.

Our house at Christmas is at "Here's My Country Christmas". 

Frequent Contributor

I've downsized like you

@mac116 wrote:

I actually decorate less and less each year.  We love a beautiful tree, and just a FEW other treasured items.  We've worked on downsizing a lot of our accumulated STUFF.

in recent years which actually brought me back to QVC to pickup a BL incandescent tree.  When I relocated, I sold all my Christmas decor both indoor and out as well as donated my huge beautiful  BL tree.  So this year, I've purchased a few new decor items along with the slim tree that fits my smaller space.  And I couldn't resist some outdoor items (some from elsewhere) like lit garlands for front porch rail and 6ft urn potted lit glitter tree for exterior front entry.  I'll put a Snowman head on the tree, 5" round ornaments for buttons and twigs spray painted black just for a change.  I have everything down to a dull roar here for Christmas.  But every fall when I think that I'll just go for the minimum I can't resist decorating for Christmas.  Living away from family and friends is probably why.

Frequent Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

Maybe, anymore, due to lack of interest,I put up 2 very small Christmas trees and a wreath on the front door. I have plenty of nice things but no longer bother.

When I relocated across country I realized just how much Christmas decor I had accumulated and decided rather than pack away and forget, I either sold or donated all of it.  It was refreshing to be cleaned out and free to pick up a few new items to add to the cherished few that I kept.  Donating for me is a great way to clear out useable items that are still in great shape and benefit to others.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I decorate pretty similar every year. Except for adding a new nutcracker every year. You see, my little 5 year old boy was facinated with nutcrackers. He would look forward to seeing what the new addition would be each year. After a dozen years & a dozen nutcrackers, I realized my little boy had grown up. He didn't give a fig about them anymore. So I stopped collecting them. Our children grow so fast. He's now in his early 30's, but I still have those nutcrackers to remind me of his magical childhood Christmas holidays. 

Respected Contributor

Once I decorated last Christmas, everything I didn't use was donated or tossed. So most of my decorating will be the same, though I may put some things in differnt places. Truthfully, i've used pretty much the same items for years, so what went away hadn't been used for awhile.

A few years ago, I started setting up a vignette on my dining room table, adding something each year, and I did buy two new items to add this year--a cottage and a log cabin church from Blue Sky Clayworks, purchased on ebay. I think the vignette will now be complete. 

Super Contributor

One of the reasons it takes me so long each year, is because I want to do something different.  Some years I like it, some I don't!  I have way too many decorations and want to donate a lot of them.  If I had less, it would  help a lot, 

Respected Contributor

@CABRIT The only way I could do it was, once I'd finished decorating last Christmas, I told DH just to get rid of everything left in the bins. I didn't dare go back and look through them myself, lol! Now all my tree ornaments are in a box on my laundry room shelf--it's a fairly small box, too, because even though I have a 7.5 ft tree, I never was one to jam pack it with ornaments....don't use garland, ribbons, picks or anything like that, just hanging ornaments with plenty of space between them so I can see each individual one. My "sit arounds" for the kitchen & dining room are in the cabinet under my TV. Stockings & tree skirt are in my cedar chest. So it's not a lot of stuff anymore. All the big plastic bins are re-purposed!

Honored Contributor

@juanitalinda   I change it so I can use everything I have throughout the years.  The living and dining rooms are always a red and green with a green tree multi colored old fashioned lights  This year the mantle and elsewhere is holly with berries, faux, but look real, and the tree has vintage ornaments, mostly ball with stripes, another year it will be glass ornaments with shaped glass such as a Santa and sleigh, etc.

The tree in the rec room stays the same, bottlebrush animals, metal and wood ornaments, all woodsy themed, with clear lights.  Also, the white tree in my "red" room stays the same as it is left up all year, white and red ornaments, birds, picks, etc.

The kitchen is either a Winter theme with white tree and all white ornaments, lots of snowmen, etc., becoming a fast favorite, or a woodsy theme with lots of greenery such as pine sprays and the like, one year will be silver themed, and one year the kitchen will be gingerbread themed everywhere.

Some years I set up a cardinal theme on the front of the kitchen island, may do that this year.

There are deer, critters, and birds no matter what theme, and many faux floral arrangements which I love to do, very creative for me, and all appropriate for whatever theme, in most rooms.

Honored Contributor

Everything gets used, but I switch where it gets placed. My two artifical trees are alternated between the living room and family room. This year, the multi colored tree goes in the living room and the clear one will go in the family room.

Super Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@juanitalinda   I change it so I can use everything I have throughout the years.  The living and dining rooms are always a red and green with a green tree multi colored old fashioned lights  This year the mantle and elsewhere is holly with berries, faux, but look real, and the tree has vintage ornaments, mostly ball with stripes, another year it will be glass ornaments with shaped glass such as a Santa and sleigh, etc.

The tree in the rec room stays the same, bottlebrush animals, metal and wood ornaments, all woodsy themed, with clear lights.  Also, the white tree in my "red" room stays the same as it is left up all year, white and red ornaments, birds, picks, etc.

The kitchen is either a Winter theme with white tree and all white ornaments, lots of snowmen, etc., becoming a fast favorite, or a woodsy theme with lots of greenery such as pine sprays and the like, one year will be silver themed, and one year the kitchen will be gingerbread themed everywhere.

Some years I set up a cardinal theme on the front of the kitchen island, may do that this year.

There are deer, critters, and birds no matter what theme, and many faux floral arrangements which I love to do, very creative for me, and all appropriate for whatever theme, in most rooms.

They all sound beautiful.   Great to dream about on a sweltering hot summer day.