Honored Contributor

Re: Do you decorate the same every year or change it up?

Forgot to mention our ceramic tree. My youngest son bought it

from a neighbor when he was a little boy (he is in his 50's now).I don't think she charged him very much. One year when Hubbs and I were getting it out I dropped it and it broke. I was broken hearted. Some years it had been our only decoration.The 3 of us had some tough times.

Anyway Hubbs repaired it and surprised me. I think it was a true miracle.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to say, after writing my comment and reading others...I also am sometimes on the side of "nah, think I'll just skip it!" Lol...not lately (2020 what else did we have to do, so I made my home cheerful!)

But, like others....I think about how long it took me to pack up everything, real organized in those Periea boxes, and put up in my outside storage (which usually doesn't happen until mid March b'cuz it's either snowing, raining or too cold!)...and at this moment, I'm leaning toward keeping it simple. I go back and forth. Also, I need to streamline more items...I just don't want as much anymore. I call it "being a steward of stuff"...and the older I get, time more precious...the less I wish to be that.

And then some years the Christmas bug just bites me and I enjoy it! Lol.

Forever, I've been saying to bf....I wish to just go away for Christmas, come back when it's all over. Last year we had something booked, upstate NY at an Inn and were going to do that...then some change in Covid rules up there made us cancel.

Maybe we'll try that again this year.

Respected Contributor

I try and switch it up every year. One year it may be a Snowman theme. Another it is all about greenery and lights. Yet another year may be Santas or the Nativity.  Don't want to do the same thing every year. That gets boring to me.

Respected Contributor

I've been pretty much sticking to the same lately.  I have been doing less and less every year.  I no longer put up my pre-lit garland on my staircase.  I don't think we put up the 12 foot tree in the foyer last year either.  We like the Christmas tree in the front window of the house and sometimes I do an all gold tree with white lighting and sometimes I do a multi-color tree.  That's the most change up I do now.  My husband still likes to decorate a lot outside but I can see that getting less soon.  Don't plan on much, if any decorating this year.  We will be out of town for Christmas.  

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy decorating the house for Holidays. When I worked I didn't do alot because I just didn't have time. I always said that I would really up my game decorating when I retired.

I change up some every couple years. Right now I am thinking of not doing the buffalo check theme in the family room and instead put out my Santas and go with reds and gold. I think I had the buffalo check look in there for 3 or 4 years now.

Last year I went from light blue and silver in the Living Room to Dark Blue and silver and white.

Now I like to take my time and love sitting back in the evenings admiring my work.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep it simple. Tree and a few things around. I don't decorate like a Hallmark Christmas. To time consuming and if I did the cats would probably make a huge mess.

Respected Contributor

I decorate the same way every year.  Everything has a place and it takes me very little time to put it all out.  Now the tree I need help with that as every ornament is wrapped in tissue.  My children are usually home for Thanksgiving weeked and they help decorating the tree.  The tree itself is looking a little sad.  It is a hand me down from my parents and has be over 15 years old.  Maybe we will get a new one this year. 

Respected Contributor

I change out my decorating almost every year. I enjoy being creative and coming up with a different theme each year. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I try to change up my decor last year I did snowman theme.  

I have much to much seasonal decor (esp Christmas).  This year I have decided to "keep it simple" for various reasons and I'm hoping I'll be happy with this decision when the time comes.

(I've slowly started selling many unused pieces that I've had for many years and surprisingly people are buying Christmas already. Just sold 10 Valerie Parr Hill mercury lighted trees and her clear trees.  Amazing how many inquiries I had and people who collect her items)

Respected Contributor

I change it up a each year depending on my energy level and which decorations spark my interest that year.  We have never put up a tree because we spend a good part of the holiday in another state with my parents.  However, I decorate every room in our house in some way.  Like so many who post here, I have way too many decorations, but I haven't been able to let any of them go.  If I ever downsize, I'll use that opportunity to reduce my decor stash.