Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying Gifts and . . . Forgetting?

i put all gifts i buy in a big plastic bin......and have a list of what gifts i've bought...

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308  Yup, that all wrapped up and no clue what's inside has happened to me too.

I have solved that by wrapping that gift and using a paper tag not a stick on one.  I fill out the front and Write what is inside on the BACK of the tag. Then I tape ONE EDGE of the tag on the gift so I can still flip the tag up to see what Is inside,  only tapeing the opposite side down before I'm ready to give that gift.

Respected Contributor

Once DH bought me and his mother some perfume for the holidays and hid it, then forgot where he put it.  Two years later, I finally found the bottles stashed in an upstairs closet!

I am a highly organized Christmas shopper. I make a new list every year and write down all the presents I buy each person as I buy it, then circle each item after I wrap it.  I start shopping sometimes the day after Christmas for the next year.  I usually shop for at least ten to fifteen people.  I try to finish all shopping before Thanksgiving.

I keep all the gifts for the family in one spot and all the gifts for DH in a different spot.   I never lose anything, or forget, but often I overspend my budget because I love to shop!

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I'm notorious among friends and family for buying gifts and hiding them, then forgetting where I put them. My children take bets on how many Christmas gifts I'll lose. Last year I found some I wanted to put in with my friends' gifts stashed behind one of our desks!

But this year I got the bright idea to forgo gift cards for everyone except the young adults in the family. DH has 3 surviving sisters, one widowed last February, one divorced for a long time , and one never married. So I want them to have something to open. I plan to send a few gifts to his widowed brother-in-law too, but that's easy since he's the only male!  Even if we weren't in this situation I still would be mailing their gifts.

So I've been picking up things on QVC for them - personal things and useful things. DD and DH would sometimes be there late at night and comment on what I was ordering.

Now I can't remember who I decided should receive each one. And did I get this for them, or for my friends I exchange gifts with? Do I have things "hidden" that I've forgotten about?  I should have written it down! 

Has this happened to anyone else? Smiley Embarassed Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  ..... NO, that never happened to me .... maybe you should put the recipients name on the receipt & put all the receipts in one place instead of hiding the gifts .... hiding the gifts doesn’t seem to be working for you 😊

Respected Contributor

@candys mine  What a brilliant idea. 

Trusted Contributor

It can definitely be easy to lose track of hiding places and purchases!

I create a spreadsheet of everything I buy and who I have bought it for.  I don't lose track of where the gifts are (they are in one of two places), but the spreadsheet helps me to remember who is getting what.  Sometimes I buy things, put them away, and forget which person I made the purchase for.  That usually happens when I make a large purchase with many items in the order.

Try creating a list.  It is bound to help!

Esteemed Contributor

I always had a list and never really lost anything but I admit I have forgotten about a couple of things over the years.  Much simpler now as we are not a big family and I buy small gifts with a gift card for each of my grown children (no grandchildren)........and of course cat toys for my granimals, LOL!  

Respected Contributor

When I used to shop for Christmas gifts throught the year and stash them away for months at a time, I was forgetting what I purchased and where I put it.  I started to write it all down.  Had a notebook.  Who I got a gift for and where I put it.  I don't do that anymore because we don't exchange gifts with as many people as we used to.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom Not only do I forget where I put stuff, I also forget that I've already gotten someone something.  I don't have a "gift closet" and I need to be more organized with my gift giving....as it get closer to the holiday, I make lists and refer to it often.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I did the same thing last year and found a lot of the stuff the first 2 months of the year. I am getting so good at stashing stuff it takes me months to find it! During Covid I think I will turn it iinto a game and see what surprises I find. Most of them I forgot I bought while looking at it....lol