Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@BornToShop, I start to feel nauseous when I go to replace a bunch of my candle batteries at once.  The price adds up so fast.  I've been letting lots of them stay idle until the colder shorter days and then I try to light most of them up again. 

One year before Christmas I ran across a good deal on Rayovac in a Home Depot store.  It was an extra large pack.  I haven't been seeing the good battery deals of the past on websites like Amazon lately.

@SHOPR, was it you that tried rechargeable batteries a few years ago & didn’t like the inconvenience of having to recharge so often because they didn’t hold a charge that well?  

@BornToShop, I considered investing in rechargeable batteries, but I haven't.  Years ago I struggled to keep my digital camera's battery charged and ready to use when I needed it.  That was probably a very different battery type with different battery drain, but it has left me leery of them.  

Respected Contributor

@michigangirl723 wrote:

Wow....that is a lot of batteries!!! I have a good amount of holiday items that need them, but no where near that many. I know that they are so convient bc  you can put them anywhere, but like you said, it gets pricey! You must have a beautifully lit up display though!

@michigangirl723, it’s called a collection, lol.  Years of it. Even though I purge every year; such as outdated CI candles, there are still some pieces I cannot let go yet.  It truly is magical when it’s all systems go!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Battery Bankruptcy

[ Edited ]

A few years ago I decided to try rechargeable batteries.  Early on I came across an article describing how they could cause fires.  I threw them and the charger out.

Things may have improved but I am unwilling to try them.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Hi @BornToShop-

I mostly have everready since they are usually cheaper than duracell but I think also last longer.

But what I've found is it is not the batteries so much that determine how long they last but the device they are being used in.

For example, some old candle impressions I have-any battery  seems to last forever. But a mirage flameless lantern I just got doesn't last long at all with the same batteries.

I got all of mine at Walmart including the charger which charges every size battery. You can put all sizes in at the same time (It takes 4 at once). The charger I have is an energizer brand too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I am a fan of Energizer batteries.  I used to buy Duracell but had too many leaks so stopped buying them.  I have used Rayovac and they seem to last well and I haven't seen any leaks so far.

@BornToShop  I feel your pain as so far we've spent around $75 to stock up for the season.  We have too much B/O items and need to stop lighting all of them. Like you, I'm backing off of the items that use batteries as it's getting crazy expensive to keep them going. 

Respected Contributor

I've see 36 packs of AA or AAA RayoVac on sale at Lowes for around $6.95.  I stock up and get my years worth when they go on sale.  I didn't see them in the Black Friday ad, but they will probably go on sale before Christmas.   I've had good luck with that brand and basically only need them in mass quantity around the holidays for the glimmer strings, flameless candles, and a lot of the Valerie Parr Hill items that I have.

I get them on-line (using ebates), and they are pulled and ready at the customer service counter.    

......You look like I need a drink.....