Valued Contributor

I am getting sad thinking about taking down my Christmas decorations after New Year's Day. What decorations are you ladies leaving out after Christmas, during the Winter months? I can leave the snowmen out, but am not sure about the beautiful mercury glass trees from Valerie.  I guess I can keep the pedestals and some spheres by Valerie out, also.  How about wreaths used as centerpieces for tables?

Respected Contributor

Re: After Christmas Decorations

I use VPH's mercury glass pedestals year-round.  Everything else will be put away after Christmas except some cinnamon stick Luminara candles.  That said, I see no reason why you couldn't use your lit MG trees throughout winter.

Respected Contributor

Keep what makes you happy! I see no reason for the mercury glass trees to be put away. I can see packing up Santas and other definite Christmas items, but wreaths and trees say winter to me. After all, there are trees outside all 12 months!

Respected Contributor

@Carol08 wrote:

I am getting sad thinking about taking down my Christmas decorations after New Year's Day. What decorations are you ladies leaving out after Christmas, during the Winter months? I can leave the snowmen out, but am not sure about the beautiful mercury glass trees from Valerie.  I guess I can keep the pedestals and some spheres by Valerie out, also.  How about wreaths used as centerpieces for tables?

Why not take pictures of your favorites settings, daytime and nighttime, so you can look back and enjoy any time of the year.

i happen to catch the sunlight one early weekend at the mountain place and captured its shadows on a wall:image.jpeg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Lighted Victorian houses have more of a winter (outdoor snow fun) theme than Christmas, snow people, pine cones, forest creatures and pine trees on the mantel will stay through January. Nativity scene, holiday hand towels, table centerpiece, things that hang on door and outside holiday lights will go soon after the 25th.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Anything with greens, berries, snowflakes and snowmen will stay out until I put out some Valentine's decorations. I live in a cold and snowy area of the US so we keep our tree up well into January and enjoy the white lights and our snowflake ornaments.

Trusted Contributor

Anything that says winter will stay out until late March as we will still have snow on the ground in early April.  We have been known to have a major snow storm in April and even Mother's Day.  Winter does not end until it's gone.    All things that say Christmas will go right after New Year's.  April brings out spring/summer decorations.

Honored Contributor

Reindeer, winter greenery and candle rings will stay until around March when I start putting out Easter and spring decor.  I will remove the trees, nativities, anything that says Christmas by or after New Years.  I always hate to pack up Christmas because it  gives the house such a special festive touch but then I start to thinking spring and warmer weather and that helps.

Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I use VPH's mercury glass pedestals year-round.  Everything else will be put away after Christmas except some cinnamon stick Luminara candles.  That said, I see no reason why you couldn't use your lit MG trees throughout winter.

@Marsha2003I too, use the MG pedestals all year because I don't see anything about them that says Christmas.  I'm using a lot of everyday pieces this time so I'll have less to pack away.  I was surprised how a garland or some picks can transform an everyday hurricane or apothecary jar into a great Christmas decoration.

Honored Contributor

I'd put santa themed items away.  Then I think the rest is up to you.