Trusted Contributor

Re: After Christmas Decorations

[ Edited ]

@Carol08 ~ I'm with you as far as feeling sad thinking about taking the Christmas decorations down.  During this past Christmas in July I purchased Valerie's slim 7" ft tree.  It's in our front window since we needed something with a smaller profile due to the dogs jumping in the windows, lol.  That tree is so fabulous I'm really tempted to drag it into our den and leave it up all year with only birds on it.  I will say that I am adding red and white round lights to it and will only light those for Valentine's Day.  The bigger tree in our den will come down on January 6th.  Other than that, any evergreen garland or wreaths will stay up.  Anything woodsy that doesn't scream Christmas will stay, anything else (llike our vintage Santas) are already put away.  Snowy, woodsy, and nature inspired is what our home will be all about.  Happy New Year!

ETA ~ You can absolutely use wreaths as centerpieces!  I just put away a vintage santa in a sleigh that sat inside a wreath on our coffee table and replaced it with a wintry birds nest with sparkly birds.  I love using wreaths that way!

Respected Contributor

I'm late to this party, and have not read every post, but wanted to reply. Although I adore all things Christmas, especially Santas, I've "tried" to start buying only items that are more winter related, like snowmen. Last Christmas I was down with a knee problem and couldn't decorate as usual. But I still had to put out something. I made an effort when going through my stash to primarily select things that could stay out after Christmas. It worked great. When Christmas was over, I only had to put away a very few things but still had lots of decor to enjoy through the winter season.

Wish I had done the same this year. HA!

Valued Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@Carol08 ~ I'm with you as far as feeling sad thinking about taking the Christmas decorations down.  During this past Christmas in July I purchased Valerie's slim 7" ft tree.  It's in our front window since we needed something with a smaller profile due to the dogs jumping in the windows, lol.  That tree is so fabulous I'm really tempted to drag it into our den and leave it up all year with only birds on it.  I will say that I am adding red and white round lights to it and will only light those for Valentine's Day.  The bigger tree in our den will come down on January 6th.  Other than that, any evergreen garland or wreaths will stay up.  Anything woodsy that doesn't scream Christmas will stay, anything else (llike our vintage Santas) are already put away.  Snowy, woodsy, and nature inspired is what our home will be all about.  Happy New Year!

ETA ~ You can absolutely use wreaths as centerpieces!  I just put away a vintage santa in a sleigh that sat inside a wreath on our coffee table and replaced it with a wintry birds nest with sparkly birds.  I love using wreaths that way!

@Julie928 wrote:

Thanks for all these suggestions, Julie92.  I will leave out the winter decorations - like snowmen and woodland animals. I already put away the Santa items and some trees that scream "Christmas"........also, some wreaths. The wreaths that aren't strictly Christmas will stay out. I am not sure about the spheres that have a Chjristmas motif.  I keep checking for Spring decor, but haven't found any, yet.

Respected Contributor

@Carol08 wrote:

I am getting sad thinking about taking down my Christmas decorations after New Year's Day. What decorations are you ladies leaving out after Christmas, during the Winter months? I can leave the snowmen out, but am not sure about the beautiful mercury glass trees from Valerie.  I guess I can keep the pedestals and some spheres by Valerie out, also.  How about wreaths used as centerpieces for tables?

@Carol08  I'm not leaving anything out. I live in Florida and we are coming into the best three months of the year. I like a clean slate when January arrives.

Don't be sad.....leave out the things that make you happy. You don't have to do what everyone else is doing. The mercury glass sounds lovely. Enjoy it for months to come. 

Honored Contributor

I leave everything up until February, then begin taking it down.  After Christmas is the only time I have to sit and enjoy everything because before I am baking, wrapping, cooking, etc. before so after, I can relax and enjoy all of my work.  I am done by March and then Spring comes out, Easter next if I am in the mood for that, then Summer, Fall, and Christmas again.

Trusted Contributor

@Carol08 ~ You are most welcome!  If you happen to be in the market for Spring decor you need to check out Pier 1's website.  Lots of Spring items are available to order online but won't be in the stores until mid-January.  So many cute things ~ I think I'm in trouble!  They also have a great sale going on right now on their Christmas items.  I picked up lots of great things at really good prices.  :-)