Honored Contributor

Re: handbag color advice needed

@faeriemoon   You are right, the caramel color from Dooney is orangey...I just never thought about it that way.

When I try to take a picture of my bag, it looks tan, but in person, it definitely has an orange undertone.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   I ordered a bag from ILD in "Desert" because I watched the presentation on QVC where it was described as a British Tan (which I like.)  A couple of the reviews mentioned the orangey cast, and I thought; "can't be; the name is Desert and they said it's like British Tan.  Wrong!!!!!  Should have gone with my gut.  Sent that sucker right back.

Unless a bag is specifically orange (I have a tangerine bag that I love), I don't like that orange/brown cast to leather at all.

(Ended up re-buying that bag I returned in Oyster.  Love!!)

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Carmie   I ordered a bag from ILD in "Desert" because I watched the presentation on QVC where it was described as a British Tan (which I like.)  A couple of the reviews mentioned the orangey cast, and I thought; "can't be; the name is Desert and they said it's like British Tan.  Wrong!!!!!  Should have gone with my gut.  Sent that sucker right back.

Unless a bag is specifically orange (I have a tangerine bag that I love), I don't like that orange/brown cast to leather at all.

(Ended up re-buying that bag I returned in Oyster.  Love!!)

@faeriemoon  You are so right about the desert color.  I saw it in person and didn't care for it at all.  It looked muddy to me. I love my oyster bag.  The color is like a chameleon.  It tends to change color with the outfit you are wearing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My go to neutral is and long has been off-white/bone/vanilla... I prefer it to tans or taupes, though they all have a place and our individual preferences will vary...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

As we say in France if it is not love at first sight (coup de foudre)

I would return it or go for the taupe 🌻

Honored Contributor

I have an elephant crossbody from Dooney and the trim is brown.  So if Dooney thinks it works with earthtones, who am I to argue?  I've been using this bag every day, my dress shoes and casual shoes are also grey.  This is my first venture into grey during my entire adult life.  Now I have to think about sandals.  I noticed at the doctor's office waiting room that I was the only one wearing "winter" shoes, 90% of the women were in sandals.  It's still 50-60 degrees here.  

Respected Contributor

I own Dooneys in every color of the rainbow,  including 1 in elephant.   I have to say,  the elephant is my least favorite color.   I don't understand why so many ladies love that color.    If you don't love it,  then exchange it for a color that will make you happier.   When you look at a new handbag you should smile.

Contributor

My thanks to all of you ladies who have responded, I am probably going to take your advice and exchange this bag, I just hope I'm not too lazy to get it re-packaged and shipped before my 30 days.