Contributor

I just received the dooney zip zip satchel in the elephant color, because so many reviews stated this was a great neutral color that matched everything. My wardrobe is mostly black and white, with some reds, yellows, browns and a few prints in earth tones and to my eye, this bag does not really work. I can "make it work" but I am considering exchanging for the caramel, because to me it appears to be a year round neutral. Am I just out-dated? Any, and all advice or opinions will be appreciated. TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: handbag color advice needed

That bag costs too much, to "make it work".  Exchange it, an enjoy your new color.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

Go with your first impression.  I don't think you'll ever feel satisfied with it and you will always doubt it is "right."  I think you should exchange it.  

Respected Contributor

Don't keep it if you don't love it.  You will regret it.  Exchange it for another color.

Honored Contributor

@moony -

I don't think you are "dated" at all.

They always say what a great neutral the elephant and a lot of the colors are, but I can see if I had it with my black and grey, white, other colors, it would just kind of stand out and look well, grey!

The caramel is nice and like everyone else said, you should love it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Get rid of it. I feel strongly you really need to “feel” your handbag and if you don’t, it’s never gonna feel right. I’ve kept ones I knew weren’t for me and sorely regretted it. A lot of people say grey is a neutral but for me it absolutely is not. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can take or leave the elephant color, though do think a true taupe does work with just about anything... The point is, if the color doesn't meet your expectations then you should send the bag back and get a color with which you're more comfortable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

If you are not happy with it definitely return it.  I myself love the elephant but that is just me.  I have the zip zip in oyster and absolutely love it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dooney caramel color is a British tan.  I have a bag in this color and I am currently using it as my everyday bag.  Since it is getting warmer, I am going to change it out for a summer bag.

I don' t have any Dooneys in the elephant color, but I do like it.

A handbag is a very personal piece of apparel.  You should always wear something that makes you feel good.  If you think caramel is more your style...go for it.

Honored Contributor

Taupe is very neutral.  It belongs to gray, black, and a touch of brown.  One can't get any more neutral and extreme than that unless it's black or pure white.

If you're doing camel, that's brown and a touch of yellow.