Valued Contributor

Re: Why is Dooney selling clearance?

I hope you guys are right about them just being overstocked, I am just worried that after  40 years of Dooney they are going to split. If they don't carry Dooney anymore especially in florentine, I guess I'm done with the Q.

Honored Contributor

I guess because I'm pretty much done with the Q anyway, and Dooney as well, I'm not terribly concerned about what they do, but I honestly don't see them going separate ways. It's been a mutually beneficial relationship.

As for Florentine, Dooney isn't touting it anywhere as they did the first several years after its inception. It appears pretty clearly they've moved on to other configurations. Though they still carry a Florentine line, it seems they're pushing their newer lines far harder.

I would like to see QVC expand their handbag options (and the diversity of their brands overall), along with offering better prices and lower cost shipping. QVC hasn't been much of a bag destination for me over the past year or so because of these factors and unless or until they make some changes, I don't see my shopping habits changing. 

There have been a lot of Dooney bags on the clearance table, but there are still a number that aren't. I'd surmise that if QVC and Dooney were splitting, we'd see everything on clearance.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully because they're leaving the Q.  I like D&B too...but enough already!

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

Supply and demand?

Respected Contributor

I'm kicking myself! I put the logo lock hobo, in grape, on my wish list 2 days ago. I couldn't decide. Now it's gone and I'm disappointed. Sigh.
Respected Contributor

Hold the phone! I just checked again and it's back (hopefully not a return or on-air demo.) It's been ordered! It's mine! Woohoo!
Respected Contributor

Just after I placed my order, the grape is unavailable again. I'm going to assume the one I'll get might be a return. Which kind of bugs me because it's not sold "as-is." But I'll be hopeful.
Esteemed Contributor

QVC has higher shipping prices than any other retailer and so many other retailers that have bricks and mortar stores have free shipping and real sales.

I would have bought my daughter a Dooney navy blue pebble leather crossbody bag on clearance at the Dillard's in the Las Vegas Fashion mall but the zipper was wonky.

But I did order her one from Hudson's Bay in Canada when they had a flash sale on clearance and only the olive pebble leather was marked down on their website (none in the bricks and mortar store) with free shipping so I think I got a good price.  The item is sold out now. The bag in the online photo didn't look olive though, it looked like sage or a forest green. But I'll be happy with whatever green shade it turns out to be.

Respected Contributor

And then there are all of the old bags that remain at full price. For example, in the default view there is a coated cotton hydrangea satchel that is two years old and still "offered" at $228.  Last years's daffodil TSV is still full price.  Just doesnt make sense to me. 

Frequent Contributor

It is a marketing ploy. 

Plus they probably have limited quanity.

Dept stores have D& B on clearance.

Q has a larger inventory.