Trusted Contributor

Watching handbag clearance-whoa....

10:00PST.  Sue Clifton had to direct the host and also keep her on track with facts that any host should know.  The remainder of the show is just as painful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Watching handbag clearance-whoa....

Ain't no way I would pay $200 for something covered in advertising..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

I pay no more than $40 for a handbag.  Look at all the money you would have if you put the $140 in your 401K. I don't want to impress anyone with my stuff.  When you retire you will have a very used $200 handbag which won't help you pay for meds.

Honored Contributor

Funny but oh so true.  I'm with you on those $40 or less bags especially if you change them out through the seasons. 

Respected Contributor

When I was working, I invested in good leather handbags.  They served a purpose and some of them I passed on to my DD.  Others I finally donated.

Since retiring, I find that I don't need a collection of handbags.  I have a black, a blush and one crossbody that I'm still on the fence about.  May wind up donating that one although it is a Sharif that I got on ebay for $19.  The black handbag is an ebay purchase as well for $22 and the blush yet another ebay for $26. All were NWOT.  (Learned the hard way that "vintage" can be smelly.)

Sooo, all that to say I no longer pine away for a handbag that costs $300-$400.  I'm quite content with what I own.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Since the topic has to do with the host and not how much you would pay for a bag, I'll comment on that.  I saw no problem whatsoever regarding "keeping the host on track."  I saw the show and have no clue what you are speaking about.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Regardless of the host or whether or not it was necessary to keep her on track, regardless of how much or little some pay for handbags, I've simply grown weary of the Q's endless rotation of the same ten brands. Folks are free to spend or not spend whatever they want on handbags. I simply don't care any more than I care about what's being shown on the Q these days or how effective or ineffective the hosts are at showing it. They bring in some fresh goods and we'll see. Then the focus can be upon the hosts and how they perform. As it is, what difference does it make? We've seen it all before.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have friends who buy $40.00 dollar purses and they have to buy a new one every year, after they complain to me about it.  I buy a really good handbag for $200.00 on sale and I will use that bag for years.  I don't buy trendy handbags that smell like cheap plastic. I have plenty of money in my 401. 

Honored Contributor

@sarpy wrote:

I pay no more than $40 for a handbag.  Look at all the money you would have if you put the $140 in your 401K. I don't want to impress anyone with my stuff.  When you retire you will have a very used $200 handbag which won't help you pay for meds.

I don't judge people's decisions on how to spend their money. It's their money.  Plus I have no idea how much wealth they have.  To some people #200 isnothing to spend on a handbag.   If someone comments on their handbag purchase - no matter what the price - I won't judge them.  Everyone has priorities and different choices as to what gives them pleasure and yours may not be the same ones as mine.   Bottom line is: you can't take it with you.

By the way, there are people on this board who have had near death experiences or fought cancer or whatever.  I would never "deny" them little pleasures in life, for sure.

Honored Contributor

I personally enjoy a "good" handbag, which means (to me) leather, quality stitching, and an interior that holds what I need and in convenient.  I also have a "thing" for handbags and have collected some pretty good ones over the years.  I also was in a Corporate environment for quite a long time and whether or not anyone likes it or not, there is a game to be played!  And part of that game is how you look.  I've had my share of LV's, Gucci's, Chanel and other upper-end brands.  Whether or not I was in love with them is moot, they served their purpose at the time.

Now we're retired and live in a small town (5 years now) and those bags sat in my closet because there was no need to use them and I wasn't especially in love with them and the weather here could have hurt the leathers, etc.   So I sold my collection one by one and haven't looked back.....Woman Happy

I still love a "good" handbag and have an emotional love for Dooneys (my first designer bag was a Dooney from a thrift shop for $15 in the early 90's and LOVED it!)..... so I do have a fondness for them and they DO last forever..... and the used thrift shop versions....

I love handbags and see nothing wrong in investing in them and collecting them.  It's the same as anything someone loves and likes to collect .... like antiques, golf equipment, computers and electronics, tools, dolls, quilts....... I mean the list can go on and on so I've never understood the reasoning why even women say a woman CAN ONLY HAVE ONE handbag and that handbag must never cost much.....

Collect whatever you love and makes your heart sail...... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*