Frequent Contributor

Vera bag to replace my beautiful dooney.

I'm giving up. I just can't carry the heavy leather any longer. I've ordered a few of the new Vera Bradley in solid colors. Look quilted in a microfiber. I think they will be easier on my back. Anyone have any thoughts on the solid microfiber styles? Glad she did some. I can't carry prints all the time.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vera bag to replace my beautiful dooney.

I have back and shoulder issues.  My favorite everyday VB style is the small trimmed Vera tote.  I love the handles and inner pockets. I have one of the small trimmed VB micro fiber totes (tango red) and I recently bought the preppy poly tote in black.

They wear like iron. P.S. If they arrive with the bottom insert curved or bent a bit; no worries. Put a book in the bag and hang it from a door knob over night. 

Small Trimmed Vera TotePreppy Poly Tote

I often buy the mini prints offered in the small trimmed Vera tote.  My latest is the mini concerto:  

Honored Contributor

@Leelynn, these are wonderful bags and light as a feather. I use mine all the time. I have no solids, but plenty of choices.

Frequent Contributor

I just purchased my second bag from the Victoria Leather company.  They're made in the USA; very lightweight; beautiful leather; and, functional.  I was tired of handbags that felt like I was carrying luggage.

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  I love my Dooney but it is so heavy.  I've always liked Vera but didn't like the prints since they didn't like right for cold snow icey weather and winter coats.  Now that she has solids, I may switch. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks ladies!  I've been carrying the Dooney Perry woven satchel in the purple color during the holiday season and while it is so pretty, as soon as I start walking the stores with it, my lower back starts to hurt. Also, it's big so going down a tight aisle I felt like "lady with big bag coming through." Lots of out and about yesterday and I realized I was getting cranky because of the big beautiful purse. I ordered the Vera bowler bag that's on clearance in cobalt blue and black. Excellent reviews and looks like a nice size, organized, machine washable bag. Plus the price of the purse is equal to one payment of the easy pay on the Dooney. When I was 30 I could carry those heavy bags all day long, 53 not so much anymore. Can't wait to get them!!

Super Contributor

I'm so with you there regarding the weight. Love my Vera solid colors.  My favorites are the Turn Lock Satchel and the Small Trimmed Vera.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I understand about the weight thing. It's not been a problem for me, but I was lugging around a heavy tote (not Dooney) a few weeks ago and wondered, why do this? That said, there are lots of lighter weight fabric, non-leather and even leather bags (particularly perforated leather) so I'm not opting for bags from this brand. They're fine, just not for me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I swapped my Dooney bags for Veras a few years ago for the same reason - they're beautiful, but just too heavy. Most of my Veras are patterns but I've also got a few solid handbags and a solid grand traveler (mainly for my husband, who liked the functionality of the VB grand traveler, but wouldn't carry a pattern for love or money). I got my first solid handbag in November for a funeral. It's very well-made and looks very professional. Now that the funeral's behind me, I've switched back to the winter patterned bag that I love (which just happens to match one of my Lands End winter jackets). I carry my patterned bags all year long because they're so pretty and they seem to lift people's spirits - you'd be surprised at the compliments I receive from strangers. I love my Vera Bradley bags' functionality and the fact that they're so pretty (even the solids) is just the icing on the cake.

Respected Contributor

Just bought a VB weekender an hour ago, on sale to hold my needlework. I think its a little annoying that the solids cost so much more in all the bags, as I too, do not want to carry a bag with print all over it. I currently carry a travelon which is awesome, because it is so light weight, but the inner pocket zipper is literally falling apart. This will render the bag useless I fear, because it's like a a thread unravelling on a sweater. Eventually the entire thing will come undone. So I am in the market for a light weight bag too for use most of the time.