Honored Contributor

Re: The next handbag fashion trend:

[ Edited ]

Well, I know backpacks have been around for years but I am beginning to see them in more trendy stores and more frequently on the young ladies who are trendsetters, sotospeak.  I have a fairly nice one that I have pulled out of storage and use when I attend Bible study, when I need my tablet, any books, medications, my phone, etc.  It is black quilted Vera Bradley (not satin, but nicer cotton).   thought I might purchase others if they are becoming the replacement for handbags for more events such as luncheons, club meetings, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Wouldn't it be easy for someone to pick pocket your wallet?

Trusted Contributor

i'm going to be travelling soon, so i decided to buy a backpack in lieu of a crossbody. it's a black rebecca minkoff. sleek, slender, and even classy looking. i hope it works out well for all day walking. 

Honored Contributor

That ship sailed... Backpacks have been sort of a trend for several years now. They've caught on with some folks, but I don't see that many around being used instead of a bag. I didn't like them when I was school age and I don't like them now. No back packs for me... Then again, it's been way easy for me to skip the whole cross body thing too...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I agree, @Nataliesgramma.  Theft seems to be an issue, since you can't see behind you.

I agree, @Kachina624.  I had a mountaineering backpack, but that sport is behind me now.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Wouldn't it be easy for someone to pick pocket your wallet?

I always think about that when traveling and see those with a backpack.

I prefer a crossbody on the front of my hip, or a fanny pack.   I've seen some new cute fanny packs that aren't bulky or tacky like the older ones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I am starting to see high end fanny pack bags out there, not those cheap travel packs, but expensive bags.  It looks like a resurrected trend to me.

Another retread trend that didn't work for me the first time and isn't going to work for me now. I think I'll just stick with bags. I prefer them.

Smiley Surprised

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am starting to see high end fanny pack bags out there, not those cheap travel packs, but expensive bags.  It looks like a resurrected trend to me.

I've noticed this too. Can't say it was a trend I ever found very stylish.

Functional, yes. 

Stylish, no.

Valued Contributor

Caught the "handbag backpack" trend the last time it came around and have the most beautiful black leather Perlina backpack handbag.  I can't say I really like using it.  I find I prefer crossbody that is lighter in weight and even though my backpack handbag is smaller than a regular backpack, I miss not having the shoulder strap.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a new backpack recently from Aimee Kesternberg and she added a magnetic snap to the zipper pull. This allows it to be secured to the back. 

My Isaac Mizrahi backpack has a flap in addition to a drawstring so it would be hard for something to get into the bag without being noticed. I have two that just have a drawstring but double tying it adds enough security IMO. In NYC when I'm on the train, as a courtesy and for security if the train is crowded I take the backpack off and hold it so there is no chance to get pick pocketed.

I have a lot of totes and I find there is more of a chance there if it's big and has no zipper. You will have a hard time seeing if someone is slipping a hand from behind. But again, unless you are in an extremely crowded place and you're are distracted I don't see this happening often either.

When someone took my wallet in NYC, it was due to a scam where a woman distracted me by asking me for fashion advice while we were waiting for the fitting room while someone else took my wallet from my tote from behind.  So it took an elaborate scheme. That was in 2003. I'm super aware now so it hasn't happened since and it was the only time I ever had my wallet stolen.  

Plus, I no longer carry a wallet but a card case. It's slim and small so it fits inside any zippered pocket even in my very small bags. This eliminates the chance of anyone simply grabbing my wallet that easily. I think the real threat is someone taking your phone. I see so many people every day with expensive phones sticking out of their pant's pockets and I have alerted several. Anyone can simply walk past and snatch it even from your bag if you're not too careful.

~Live with Intention~