Occasional Contributor

Ladies, handbags shouldn't smell toxic.  I worked in retail for 20 yrs, and never encountered fine handbags with anything but a leather smell.  A major network did an expose on imported handbags, and found high amounts of lead in many top brands.  Think about it, you may be walking around handling lead from your bag.  When you receive these products, I hope you return them instead of airing them out and hoping for the best.  And of course, speak up.

Honored Contributor

shopperG,

Thanks for the info, and,

Image result for welcome to the group images

Honored Contributor

My only ever smelly handbag purchase was a brand new with tags.  Vera from E bay. I tried washing it - unsuccessful. I got in touch with E bay & returned it for refund. It was revolting.

Super Contributor

@shopperG wrote:

Ladies, handbags shouldn't smell toxic.  I worked in retail for 20 yrs, and never encountered fine handbags with anything but a leather smell.  A major network did an expose on imported handbags, and found high amounts of lead in many top brands.  Think about it, you may be walking around handling lead from your bag.  When you receive these products, I hope you return them instead of airing them out and hoping for the best.  And of course, speak up.

I've never received a smelly hangbag, or anything else, nor have I personally known anyone that did. 

Hope I never do 🤓😉🙃

Esteemed Contributor

I once received a smelly metallic silver leather bag. I suspect that it was the silver dye that smelled as I was never able to get the smell out of the bag. It stunk and I eventually donated it.

Valued Contributor

OT but years ago a car was purchased through an auction that had cloth seats.  Whoever owned it previously REEKED.  Never could get the smell out, had to get rid of the car. 

Wish I had some XO back then!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

I purchased a Kathy Van Zeeland handbag years ago from QVC that arrived with a horrific toxic type scent.  I put it right bag into the packaging and sent it back to QVC.  It was made in China.  From what I understand they use insecticides on a lot of their products prior to shipping from the manufacturers.

I can't stand odors and am sensitive to them.  There was no way I could keep that handbag and won't keep any that smell of anything  (even perfume).... I sell pre-owned handbags on eBay and will NOT sell one that has any kind of odor in or on it.... blechhh.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*