Respected Contributor

Re: Someone Knowledgeable - Enlighten Me About Handbags

When I was a student and just starting my career, I carried pleather. I switched to leather, not because it was 'designer," but number one, a lot of the chemicals were a trigger for my asthma and two, they couldn't repair them and I hated throwing bags or keep spending money on cheap knockoffs.

That was a long time ago and it was possible to buy real leather Tig bags. Nine West was also leather. (Tig. now is part leather/pleather and I don't know when they started that.) At a certain point, I started buying leather bags. I waited a long time to buy my first Coach. They weren't made in China and I still own some of those bags. They have held up beautifully and if they need to be refurbished or repaired, they can be. You can't do that with pleather.

At the end of the day, there are two camps: those who care about handbags and those who don't. You pick out what you can afford or are willing to pay for. Also what fits in your lifestyle.You do the same for everyone else. Your choices are personal.

Trusted Contributor

Tiganello is from the same company as B. mak. I bought one and didn't care for their leather.
Trusted Contributor

Handbags are important accessories for me. They are not just a vehicle for carrying my necessities. With that being said, I absolutely adore Kate Spade bags and wallets. I love the interesting styles and colors. They transform a nice outfit into something very special. The quality is unsurpassed and just as nice if not better then $2,000 bags. Even the linings are gorgeous and they all hold up beautifully. I have "never" had anything rip or come apart. I "always" receive compliments no matter where I go - even by men. I won't buy anything else and I own about 25 of them and use them all.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 JavaQueen said:

When I was a student and just starting my career, I carried pleather. I switched to leather, not because it was 'designer," but number one, a lot of the chemicals were a trigger for my asthma and two, they couldn't repair them and I hated throwing bags or keep spending money on cheap knockoffs.

That was a long time ago and it was possible to buy real leather Tig bags. Nine West was also leather. (Tig. now is part leather/pleather and I don't know when they started that.) At a certain point, I started buying leather bags. I waited a long time to buy my first Coach. They weren't made in China and I still own some of those bags. They have held up beautifully and if they need to be refurbished or repaired, they can be. You can't do that with pleather.

At the end of the day, there are two camps: those who care about handbags and those who don't. You pick out what you can afford or are willing to pay for. Also what fits in your lifestyle.You do the same for everyone else. Your choices are personal.

So - by your interpretation - unless we are paying an outrageous amount for some bag with a designer name on it we just don't care what we carry. Well, not everyone cares to break the budget just to carry a name around on their arm. Nice for those who can afford a mortgage payment for a purse, but speaking for those of us who live in the real world where people have bills to pay, and actual important uses for our money --- what a bunch of baloney! I love purses and care very much what I carry but I also HAVE TO limit how much I spend for one.

Occasional Contributor

On 7/14/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 7/14/2014 happy housewife said:

Last summer I carried a canvas Tig bag with the signature T print in a brown/black combo and got more compliments on it than any more expensive bag I have ever used.

That's precisely why I personally cannot justify buying a Gucci or any other $2,000 handbag.... Why spend so much for great quality if I can buy a D&B or MK which are aslo excellent quality but in $200-400 price range??

After all, I am buying for myself. Not for others to see that I carry a Gucci!

Tough_kitty

I definitely understand you. I'm a college student with a mom who will only purchase $2000+ bags meanwhile I've learned to love bags like Michael Kors and Kate Spade because they are in my price range and are still high quality AND in trend. I like bags that are a little less flashy like a Prada or Givenchy.

Occasional Contributor

If you're looking to learn about designer handbags as well as shop a little, I recommend scriptedfashion.com

They have a variety of handbags and you can learn about the different types of bags.

Valued Contributor

On 8/4/2014 fashgal said:

If you're looking to learn about designer handbags as well as shop a little, I recommend scriptedfashion.com

They have a variety of handbags and you can learn about the different types of bags.

Thank you! I'm trying not to make any more purchases the next 4 years so I'm afraid to even look at that link.... but I'll save it for future reference Smiley Happy (gotta pay my student loan off first; the loan forgiveness is a scam unless you owe $100K or more....)

Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Beejene said:

Handbags are important accessories for me. They are not just a vehicle for carrying my necessities. With that being said, I absolutely adore Kate Spade bags and wallets. I love the interesting styles and colors. They transform a nice outfit into something very special. The quality is unsurpassed and just as nice if not better then $2,000 bags. Even the linings are gorgeous and they all hold up beautifully. I have "never" had anything rip or come apart. I "always" receive compliments no matter where I go - even by men. I won't buy anything else and I own about 25 of them and use them all.

Kate Spade fan as well- wish I had 25 Smiley Happyonly have several but yes different and interesting styles!! Wear like iron also !

Valued Contributor

TJMaxx in my area has a great selection of designer leather handbags.I prefer soft leather hobo bags with outside pockets and a wide soft handle.
Occasional Contributor

I love tjmax... I also prefer silver hardware on my bag