Respected Contributor

Purse essentials

[ Edited ]

You can take my title to mean, what type of configuration/design is critical for you. Or, what items do you absolutely need to carry?
Thought about this after reading some reviews on various handbags where a couple of customers said they need to carry checkbooks and paper calendar planners. So they wanted pockets designated for those. 

Me, I like tech. So my calendar is on my phone. No need for checks except at the dog groomer; every eight weeks I take one check with me. Also no need for a mask except at the doctors office where it is still required. Must haves inside my purse besides phone, wallet and keys: sunglasses, eye drops, lipstick, pen and a small notebook. I prefer organizational features in a bag rather than one big hole. Lol
I have recently discovered that I enjoy using (purchasing 😉)  wallets for specific bags. 
I love playing with my bags and accessories. Like a little kid I guess 😊

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Mine has to be a shoulder bag, but I don't want *spaghetti straps*, but something more significant and about 10" long or longer.  

l want to be able to sling my bag over my shoulder and be hands free.

I don't like zippers showing.  I don't like look of zippers.  I hate having to pass my hand through a zipper to get something out of a tight pocket.  Ouch!

I don't like all most logos, especially someone else's initials.

I like a rather plain outside, black being my favorite color.  

Has to be big.  I'm strong enough to carry around a large handbag/shoulderbag.

I carry a large wallet, a large cell phone, large sunglass case, reader glasses, wipes, masks in ziplock baggies and a small spray disinfectant bottle, lip balm and lipstick, always.

But first and foremost, I will not buy a handbag that any animal was killed (or sheared) for my sake.

Honored Contributor

I need a crossbody bag at least 11" across, 12 would be best. There has to be at least one outside pocket preferably zipped and large enough for my phone. Inside I need one zipper pocket and a couple of slip pockets. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Purse essentials

[ Edited ]

If my bag has just one empty center section, like my Portland mini tote,

Sunflower*Classic

I like a small felt organizer for vitamin pack, mini hand sani, tissues, mints, and the iPhone. This is my normal day bag for mini excursions to the grocery store, CVS etc. I add a webbed long strap for over my shoulder. Dislike thin leather straps. 

then there is the medium size wallet, small make up case, and double sided eyeglass case that pop right into the center section. My mask is on a lanyard around my neck. 

If you want the next level of organization, the small Vera Bradley tote has small pockets that line the interior of the bag. Here is my summer tote. This is great for doctor and dentist visits to keep you organized. No need for the felt organizer and no rummaging around in a black hole. You can have either solid colors ( I have the mossy green and the red) or prints. 

If I needed a lot more organization, I would go for the Vera Bradley utility tote. I would take this on a trip. You could even toss a paperback in there as well as a travel agenda and confirmations. The end looks like it could hold a water bottle. I don't own this (yet). Woman Wink

From VB: 

• PACK IN STYLE - With a fully lined interior along with 2 slips and 1 zip interior pockets, keep your daily commute thoroughly organized with style all over - toss in your lipstick & tablet & keep your protein bars separate from your pens

Respected Contributor

@hicindy2  I enjoyed your post. So many cool bags just waiting for us to buy them 😬

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

I use a black Vera Bradley small tote most of the time.  I would LOVE something like that in a lightweight leather.  It has a generous outside pocket for my large Iphone, a zipper pocket in the front for my car key fob, a hidden pocket at the top for my masks, 2 large and 4 small slip pockets inside, and plenty of room for my large wallet.  I have many Dooney leather bags, but unfortunately they are getting too heavy for my previously injured shoulders.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Purse essentials

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

@hicindy2  I enjoyed your post. So many cool bags just waiting for us to buy them 😬

Isn't that the truth ?? The Purse Fairy has visited my house too many times lately. 

I was going to get an elegant small handbag / clutch for going out or formal affairs, and I thought "who I am kidding" ? The only red carpet I am walking on is the red doormat of my neighbor's house. 

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of various sizes of Dooney bags.  Most are leather.  I like leather bags.

My purse is always so heavy.  I have really bad back problems.  Whomever is walking with me, we'll, they end up carrying MY purse.  Especially my teenage granddaughters and daughters.

My daughter says it is heavy because leather is heavy.

I usually use the 2 handles.  Sometimes I use the long shoulder straps.

I'm a bit of a chub so I never wear it crossbody because I'd choke to death.😉

Honored Contributor

I cannot imagine switching handbags every day, but I guess some people do.  And how can anyone carry a bag with just one giant hole inside and no outside compartments?   lol

My handbag is Mission Control in my life.  I like organization, many compartments and the more the better.  Right now I am carrying a beautiful leather B Makowsky bag that has 3 outside pockets and 7 inner compartments, plus hardware that's two tone.   I never wear yellow gold jewelry, and finding a silver hardware bag isn't as easy as it should be.

(In case anyone is wondering, I first bought this style B Makowsky bag when he was still having what seemed like weekly TSVs, and was so impressed with its functionality that I bought a second one, wrapped it carefully and put it away.  Since then. I've found two more of this style on Ebay, never used, and bought those, as well.   That may seem a little extreme to some, but it's really the most functional leather bag I've ever found, so I couldn't resist.  The first purchase was donated and I'm now on the second one.  Even tho I'm very happy with this little leather masterpiece of design, I still look at handbags ..... and never see anything that even comes close to what I have.  

Honored Contributor

My preferred style is one that's fabric or soft faux leather, zipper top, no external zippers or buckles or any other outside stuff that will snag knits.

• Has to have shoulder strap - cross-body optional. 

Rest of the bag must be "a black hole" with no divders.  All my "stuff" is in ziploc bags so I can see what's in each one.  

-----------------------------------

If I'm just going shopping - all I need is my credit card and shopping list, and more often than not, I wear a fanny pack bag to hold my card case and keys.