Honored Contributor

I’m looking at D&B bags and not sure even though they’re saying “leather”, not sure I love them.

What do you think?

Respected Contributor

Re: PATENT LEATHER HANDBAGS?

There's something out there for everyone, I guess. I like them for spring.  Would I want ten in every color? No. Perhaps if there is one marked down on sale. I don't think they hook good in all colors or silhouettes ehter. 

There is a difference between cheapo Walmart "patent" and patent leather. "Patent" is faux. Think PVC. Patent leather, on the other hand, is  a different thing. They do use real leather and very high end desighers also use patent leather. It's not QVC hype.

There will be women out there who say they can get it at Walmart.. So let them, I guess.

However, some of these patent leather models are made for QVC and that might give some pause--because the clearance prices are usually not ast good and quality control issues that might be associated with made-for-QVC bags.

And yes, that's a thing: I am preparing a package to send back today. Didn't use the bag really, except to examine it. I went to put stuff in and a row of stitching came out.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus: D&B patent leather bags are real patent leather. Which bags are you referring to? 

Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@Shanus: D&B patent leather bags are real patent leather. Which bags are you referring to? 

@Diva on The Q  Hi. In my OP I said the hosts say the D&B bags are leather and that’s true. They just look a little plastic to me...maybe the shine.

Respected Contributor

I’m not a big fan of patent leather, only because I don’t like the feel of it (jmo), but when Dooney says “patent leather,” it’s leather. 

Esteemed Contributor

To me - patent handbags are 'formal'.  Church - weddings.   Not a trip to Wegman's.

Respected Contributor

Dooney patent leather bags are leather.  And I think the look is very pretty.   However,  from my personal experience,  I don't find them durable.   Patent leather can easily scratch or develop corner wear.   And any chemicals will burn a hole in the coating.   That means if you are somewhere and someone sprays cologne or hair spray and a single droplet lands on your bag.... you can end up with a damage to the patent leather.   It's happened to me on a brand new Dooney patent leather bag while I was out to dinner..

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love my Dooneys, love their patent leather. Much better quality patent than designer bags costing many hundreds more. Agree that the patent leather bags are beautiful and best for light use.

Respected Contributor

i looooove patent leather.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

To me - patent handbags are 'formal'.  Church - weddings.   Not a trip to Wegman's.

I used to think that because that was the way it was when i was a child.  But today not so much.  I have a handful of patent leather bags.  Small bags for spring and summer.  Last summer i carried two different Donney bags all summer.  One was a mink color and the other was a bright indigo blue.  At least last year they had quite a few really bright colors that did not read dress up to me.