Honored Contributor

I've just about had it with small bags.  They're not working out for me.  My retirement life is getting too complicated for small bags and I don't want to carry a small bag and a tote. 

When I was working - I carried "LARGE" handbags.  Most of them are about 15" x 15" tote size ... some larger.  Generally just a zip pocket inside and the rest is a wide open space. 

A few years after retirement - a switched to smaller bags thinking I didn't need to carry so much stuff with me any longer ... and put the big bags in the closet.

Well ... the big bags came out today.  And .... Amazon again to the rescue!  I just bought a handbag organizer (because I really do have to carry a bunch of stuff).   All the small ones are going on the shelf.  

It was so nice ... I got all the big bags out and laid them out on the bed an gazed fondly at all the lovely colors,  I have lots of colorful "novelty" totes.  Can't wait to use them again.  My favorite Laurel Burch, my souvenir totes, my amber/orange snake print, my gray snake....   I have a lot of bags!

Organizer will be here on Thursday ...I can't wait.

Honored Contributor

Re: Going back to big handbags!

I find I don't even carry my handbag most of the time.  I got Lori Grenier's waist wallet and use it for all my shopping.  It's held in place by some very strong magnets to your waistband and hides under your untucked shirt.  Very secure and there's no purse to get snatched plus you're hands free.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I've just about had it with small bags.  They're not working out for me.  My retirement life is getting too complicated for small bags and I don't want to carry a small bag and a tote. 

When I was working - I carried "LARGE" handbags.  Most of them are about 15" x 15" tote size ... some larger.  Generally just a zip pocket inside and the rest is a wide open space. 

A few years after retirement - a switched to smaller bags thinking I didn't need to carry so much stuff with me any longer ... and put the big bags in the closet.

Well ... the big bags came out today.  And .... Amazon again to the rescue!  I just bought a handbag organizer (because I really do have to carry a bunch of stuff).   All the small ones are going on the shelf.  

It was so nice ... I got all the big bags out and laid them out on the bed an gazed fondly at all the lovely colors,  I have lots of colorful "novelty" totes.  Can't wait to use them again.  My favorite Laurel Burch, my souvenir totes, my amber/orange snake print, my gray snake....   I have a lot of bags!

Organizer will be here on Thursday ...I can't wait.

I’m with you, I have several cross body bags, and while it’s nice to be hands free, they just don’t cut it. All summer I’ve been carrying a woven summery tote that I received in a subscription box, and it’s been great.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Frequent Contributor

I am 54 and used hobo type bags since I was 16.    I've been wearing/using Vera Bradley leather.  The hidden outside pocket has me spoiled.  I just have stuff to carry!

Respected Contributor

In CT, on August 1, we will no longer receive free bags at all retail businesses. I am preparing to carry bags, so I think I’ll need a bigger purse to carry retail bags!  

Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

In CT, on August 1, we will no longer receive free bags at all retail businesses. I am preparing to carry bags, so I think I’ll need a bigger purse to carry retail bags!  

they will probably have them available.  Here, they charge a nickle for a bag. But if you take your own bags to the grocery store, they will give you a nickle credit for each bag you bring to use. 

Respected Contributor

Similarly, when I quit work, I chucked the briefcases I had carried for years and indulged in smaller handbags. But now that I am having to take on the business, medical, and personal affairs of my aging mother and aunt, I am having to carry a lot more as I go back and forth between our home, my mother’s house, and the assisted living facility where my aunt lives. So, I find I am carrying more Dooney tote-style bags and leaving my smaller Dooney satchels and crossbodies on the shelf. I feel as if I’m working again on some days, and I’m glad I can do it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never a small bag fan and certainly not a crossbody fan. I have various size bags that I use depending on my needs, but I prefer a medium to large bag. If I had to decide on just one size bag to own it would be larger. I don't care how many compartments a smaller bag might have, I simply don't care for them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

Love my Brighton crossbody organizer.  Hate the weight of the large bags in the summer.  Love my light hands free.  I can get by with a lot less now.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Never a small bag fan and certainly not a crossbody fan. I have various size bags that I use depending on my needs, but I prefer a medium to large bag. If I had to decide on just one size bag to own it would be larger. I don't care how many compartments a smaller bag might have, I simply don't care for them.

Me too!!  Hate cross body bags-- they kill my neck.  Large-ish satchel with just a couple of interior pockets (a zip and one or two slips) and I'm good!  I don't like a million compartments in a bag, and for the most part, I don't like exterior pockets on them either.  I like a clean, smooth look.