Esteemed Contributor

Handbags: do u prioritize function or status?

Confession: I have many expensive handbags, but I actually LOVE my Lug handbags best. The functionality in them is superb and they're super-light weight. I have a corporate executive job and when I'm dressed up in an expensive business suit/outfit, I sometimes feel silly carrying a Lug bag. On the other hand, I've always "defined myself," wearing and doing whatever I want. 😀

I think I'm going to stick with my Lug bags--even when I'm dressed up (I hate changing handbags all the time!). Any opinions on this question: functionality vs. status?

Honored Contributor

Re: Handbags: do u prioritize function or status?

I don't care about status at all. I care about it fitting my personal style, quality of craftsmanship and functionality. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

If I worked in a job where my appearance including my choices in clothing and accessories mattered to my success -  yes, I'd care about the bag I carried to work.  I hate that something like my choice of handbag or my hair style or my footwear matters, but sometimes standing on principle can be costly, so you've got to assess your own environment.

In my life -  that LUG bag would be my choice almost any day!

Esteemed Contributor

I would think a pragmatic exec would be appreciated.

I love the bags I have collected - some practical, some not so much.  No one at my workplace would judge me on that, and if they did, well then.  Judge away.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Functionality

FWIW...

I just purchashed my first Lug crossbody bag...

F12812

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I like nice looking leather bags with at least one outside pocket.  The only time I'd consider using one of the nylon bags is when traveling.  Leather tends to get scratched and beat up when you have to keep it on the floor of a car or under an airplane seat.  The Lugs are too utilitarian looking to be attrative for normal use.  I don't want to look like a kid with a book bag. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 Your comment about looking like a "kid with a book bag" made me laugh out loud! 😸

That is exactly what I fear! However, at my age (mid-50s), maybe that's a look I should try. LOL

i do love my Lug handbag!

Honored Contributor

I guess my practice would be "status."     I'm retired.  A lot of the bags I used when working (corporate) ... are relegated to the top shelf in the closet.  

I have a collection of colorful "novelty" bags that I use a lot.  But if I'm going anywhere "serious" .... I take a "good" bag.   

I change bags contantly - depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going, sometimes twice in one day..   I have this "thing" that my bag has to coordinate with what I'm wearing.   I have one friend who does the same thing.  Whenever we get together - we have to check out each other's bag!

Trusted Contributor

I always buy bags because of quality. I have a lot of Coach bags, some old some new but I like the leather. I don't have anyone to impress but myselfWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Status is not the issue but I think a combination of functionality and style is achievable. For me, my one Lug bag is not used as a stand in for my handbag. It might see use as a business bag, tote or travel bag, but not as a substitute for a handbag. They are functional, but to me, that's pretty much their strength. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...