Honored Contributor

Love them when they are new - love the security features, but they do not stand the test of time. After about 6 to 10 months I have donated every one of mine because they just start looking worn out. For me - they are a one season only bag.

Respected Contributor

Mine last a long time. I am still using a Travelon bag I bought 4 or 5 years ago. I've used it every day for years, and it still looks and operates good as new.

Sorry you didn't get the long wear that I have gotten. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949, Unlike the durable leather of brands such as Hermes or Coach, cloth fabric bags aren't intended to last for decades. The Travelon fabric seems to be a dirt and stain magnet, but I have washed mine.  Placed in a delicate wash bag on a gentle cycle they clean up well.  You can also wipe them down by hand.  I find the cleaning really refreshes them to stretch out the use time  That said, given I've never paid more than $40 for a Travelon from the places I buy them (QVC, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, EBags), I don't mind if the bag is a throw away after a couple of years.  Even Vera Bradley and LeSportSac (which are pricey cloth fabric bags) arent going to last more than a year if it's the only bag you are carrying everyday.  

I've resigned myself that my cloth bags are like white Keds.  Love 'em while I have them and no whining about the short life.

Honored Contributor

I bought a black Travelon bag  similar to the TSV at TJMax for very little years ago when I first wanted to stop buying leather products.  It has been a workhorse.  I throw it in the washing machine and has stood the test of time.  It is extremely functional.  The different pockets and inserts keep me organized. Definitely a winner!

Honored Contributor

I've stopped buying them because I think a purse that is in the $40 to $50 range as tyhey are now - should last longer. They do seem to be a dirt magnet and after washed in cold on gentle - I think they look worn & used.

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@151949, Unlike the durable leather of brands such as Hermes or Coach, cloth fabric bags aren't intended to last for decades. The Travelon fabric seems to be a dirt and stain magnet, but I have washed mine.  Placed in a delicate wash bag on a gentle cycle they clean up well.  You can also wipe them down by hand.  I find the cleaning really refreshes them to stretch out the use time  That said, given I've never paid more than $40 for a Travelon from the places I buy them (QVC, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, EBags), I don't mind if the bag is a throw away after a couple of years.  Even Vera Bradley and LeSportSac (which are pricey cloth fabric bags) arent going to last more than a year if it's the only bag you are carrying everyday.  

I've resigned myself that my cloth bags are like white Keds.  Love 'em while I have them and no whining about the short life.

I'm with you on the "dirt & stain magnet".   I bought one, get this, 10 years ago and I can't keep it clean.   But the inside is great, I can fit everything in a Travelon crossbody that comes out of my big tote.   I think they are ugly, but functional.   I have since purchased  D&B crossbody and I'm very happy with it.

For anyone who is a fan or is ready to try one, the Big Deal price is very good, I probably paid that much 10 years ago.

@151949 also

Honored Contributor

When you think about the price of those cloth bags at 40 dollars if they last a year as your main bag thats not bad.You can buy a leather bag for 3-5 hundred dollars and while it lasts forever you can become tired of carrying it after a year.I don't like to buy expensive bags anymore as they all end up joining the other retirees in my closet.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949, Perhaps it would be the best choice for you to try a different brand of cloth fabric bag.  Vera Bradley is cotton and that may last less time than Travelon for you. I suggest trying LeSportsac.  Their purses run upward of $70 at regular retail price.  However, they do go on sale at department stores (Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, Saks, Lord & Taylor).  Also, TJ Maxx and Marshalls sometimes have a few in their inventory for around $39 to $50.  

Honored Contributor

I have no desire to carry heavy leather bags. And I am a very careful spender so I do not buy $300 purses. I tend more toward Vera Bradley or Bella Taylor or Sak crochet bags. You guys are welcome to your Coach, D&B  or LV bags - I won't be fighting you for them.I have an absolute budget of $70 and for that price I can find nice quality, pretty purses to carry that last for me a long time. In my life , and the people I spend my time with, I don't think anyone is particularly impressed by name brands on bags or if a purse is out of or in style.

Honored Contributor

I got tired of spending $70 on a new bag twice a  year.     I prefer to pay more to get more and have it last for years and years and still look new.

I got tired of wasting money