Esteemed Contributor

Re: C'MON QVC AND VENDORS...HANDBAG PRICING !!!!!!

Redhead87, Yes, you echo my thoughts.

Many of the posters have given other options.  I've done it all.  Now on a Dooney diet.  Bought very few from the Q.  Even with sale prices, I am through.

What really, really kills me is the mega profits these designers make from selling over-

priced products.  Everything is made overseas, paying the locals sweatshop wages.  And I am sure working conditions are not like here.  But if you have a status brand, people will pay anything.  And to offset all this, we have "value pays."  I wonder how many folks have gotten in over their heads with that stuff.

I just got through buying my two little grands some fall clothing.  No snow suits, shoes, undies, etc.  Big sale at Kohl's.  Can't believe what it amounted to, but I want to give "with a warm hand."  Not to mention the needs of so many charities.

I watch very little shopping shows now.  The longer you watch, the more you see, the more tempted you will be.  

Contributor

I purchased a "Good" leather Vera Bradley bag which is stunning and a couple of other "Good" designer bags at outlets.  The rest of my bags are purchased at Zulilly.  Every day there is at least one, sometimes two, vendors who sell nice purses at cheap prices. They might not be the marshmallow leather, but they are all colors, all styles, all shapes. I get just as many compliments over these purses as I do the expensive ones. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most of the bags found on QVC if not all are made in China or elsewhere in Asia and the manufacturers are paid in U.S. currency. I also have noticed price increases across the board whether at a shopping channel or department store for the full price of a handbag.

But unlike stores which have real sales, QVC's prices are always high.

The sales pitches are getiing more outrageous too.

A tip for shopping for a bag at TJ Maxx or Marshalls is to go to one of their stores that sell better bags, ask around to find out as every store isn't equal.

Honored Contributor

It was awfully nice back when QVC used to offer a variety of purses in all different price ranges. They had Stone Mountain which are nice leather bags at modest price, and on up to much more expensive bags.They used to carry sac bags which I love, because living in Florida the crochet bags are appropriate most of the time. For the most part i shop for purses locally now. I did recently see a Tig bag that I liked enough to pay the QVC price for, but that is not the norm for me anymore.

Super Contributor

Oh I so agree redhead!  I've had a bag sitting in my "cart" on Macy's website for two days.  It is saving me $141.00 -- and it's now in my price range -- but I'm still having a difficult time pressing that submit order buttonWoman Frustrated  Q's handbag prices are outrageous.   JMHO, the GILI line is the worst I've ever seen and prices are ridiculous!  Last time I watched a D&B presentation, it seemed everything had gone up $100 in priceWoman Surprised  DSW also sells designer bags at very good discounted prices.  I bought one there and wore it foreverWoman LOL  Happy shopping FriendsWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Q is the worst place to buy a bag considering, aside from their exclusives, you can get the same bags for less just about anywhere else.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

Redhead87, Yes, you echo my thoughts.

Many of the posters have given other options.  I've done it all.  Now on a Dooney diet.  Bought very few from the Q.  Even with sale prices, I am through.

What really, really kills me is the mega profits these designers make from selling over-

priced products.  Everything is made overseas, paying the locals sweatshop wages.  And I am sure working conditions are not like here.  But if you have a status brand, people will pay anything.  And to offset all this, we have "value pays."  I wonder how many folks have gotten in over their heads with that stuff.

I just got through buying my two little grands some fall clothing.  No snow suits, shoes, undies, etc.  Big sale at Kohl's.  Can't believe what it amounted to, but I want to give "with a warm hand."  Not to mention the needs of so many charities.

I watch very little shopping shows now.  The longer you watch, the more you see, the more tempted you will be.  

Ladies:

To each of you that replied to my post, I am very thankful ! You EACH  gave me great insight about the handbags and much useful information. Because of my careers, I can't get out to B&M stores to browse and compare prices, etc. like I desire to do. But I don't want to fall into the trap at QVC just because they are convenient. I'd rather they get sensible for ALL of us, but I think that is a lark of an idea!

Now, because of your replies,  I desire to make time to spend at these other places. Heart( Thank you !) I don't mind paying a decent price for a great bag if the conditions are fair favorable.

Pam, I here you loud and I totally concur wiith your comments. I like what you said ! Caramels, thank you for the information you imparted. I'm applying it as well and taking all to heart.

I think we all need to communicate constantly about our "finds", observations,  opinions and purchases. Maybe in doing so we can help each other procure good bags for good prices , from the right places and broaden our selections and our awareness of what QVC, Dooney, etc. are doing in industry and pricing. Together, we all can do the best job and not feel as it we have been "taken" or

lead astray. Knowing what design houses farm out their work and where, and materials used, is quite good information to have before selecting a great bag.

Hopefully, we can ALL have great bags and make smarter purchases.

Thanks again to all who care enough to speak out.

Have a safe and fun holiday !  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Yup, you have to shop around and look at the pricing. Because the Canadian dollar has tanked this past year, Dooney bags are going up in price. Hudson's Bay just raised the prices on their Dooneys last night/this morning on their new inventory online, their small Lexington shopper tote went from $220 CDN to $265 CDN. The same bag sells for $198 on QVC. The pebble leather crossbody bag went from $210 CDN to $255 CDN. This bag sells for $188 and I think those U.S. prices have gone up recently too at QVC.

I just bought my daughter a Dooney pebble leather cross body for an upcoming birthday on sale in the skye blue color at Hudson's Bay in store in Canada. The color wasn't online and it was the only clearance Dooney cross body on sale in the store, the other color crossbody bags weren't even in the store but I got it for $100 plus tax CDN so it pays to shop around and keep your eyes open.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

This isn't a QVC thing. If you want more affordable bags, go check out TJ Maxx or Marshall's. I've found some really great bags at both of those places for less. It pays to visit several different locations, as some have better selections than others.

Exactly!  The OP is simply shopping at the wrong place.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Leather has always been expensive!  Besides, QVC isn't telling you that you have to buy their bags, simply turn off the tv.  My big issue with the dooneys is the WEIGHT Of them.  Three pounds EMPTY for a lot of the nicer bags.