Honored Contributor

I can't give you any info but you can probably google it.  When we moved in our home about 11 years ago, the focual point of the back yard and garden was a weeping cherry tree.  It was to my way of thinking the most beautiful tree I had ever seen.  In fact, it really influenced my desire to buy the house!  It was the type that had the pink flowers.  When it bloomed, the whole tree was a solid mass of these lovely pink, featherly blossoms --- it looked like a fairytale!  Suddenly, about 2 years ago, the trunk began exhibiting some odd lines and funny formations.  We were told that it was just due to age and did not really worry about it.  Then, as time went on, various sections of the tree did not bloom and it began to wane.  We consulted a tree expert but he said the tree was very diseased and could not be saved and would eventually need to be cut down.  I was devastated.  I cried and cried.  He told us that these trees are not always the most hardy and not always have the longest life.  So, we opted not to replace and just have the stump there, which I place a large colorful pot of flowers on each summer!  I hope if you get one, you will have better luck.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

thank you I am sorry about your tree. My son bought me the tree for Moyher's Day and just wanted personal info about the tree.

Respected Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@who  I have a weeping cherry tree.  I love it - it's a beautiful tree. I'm in New England.and It blooms early ... blooms are starting to fade now.  They are lovely tho!  Looks great without the blooms too. The weeping cherry blooms earlier than the upright cherry tree that I have. (that one is starting now)  I love them both.  Do you have any particular questions?

I also have one here in Northern panhandle of WV, same here mine is just now dropping the bloom. I get more strangers asking what kind of tree is that,walking past my house.  It;s beautiful. My son .is tall and when he mows will sometimes trim the bottom, but thats all, just to keep it out of his face. Get one you won't be sorry. Mine is called just a weeping cherry, 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Your tree sounds just like my neighbors.  Age brought out problems - some years it looks like a 'goner' but this year 50% did bloom.  Apparently the roots are very shallow (close to surface) and requires water - neighbors never waters - even their lawn.   Resulting in split trunk bark = which they have......and that allows bugs to enter the meat of the tree.  Tree needs a good pruning, especially at top, due to all dead area.

Tree is half dead and looks terrible when void of all leaves.  They just had it fertilized - which I 'think' was a waste of money - it's too far gone.

Me - I say nothing

Honored Contributor

Re: weeping cherry tree

[ Edited ]

Some weeping cherries are 'made to weep' with grafts at the top of the trunk & a graft union at the bottom of the trunk. The regular cherry tree is used as the trunk. 

Cherries can get various insects (Eastern tent caterpillar) with their white nests in the branches. They can get a type of white scale called prunicola scale which shows as whitish markings on the bark. A certified arborist yearly can apply horticultural oil to your tree to kill them. For the caterpilllar if you see their nests, wait till the hottest part of the day, where they will be inside the nest & remove it wearing gloves into a plastic bag. If the nest is on the outer branches, depending on how far it is, you can remove by clipping it off & putting in a plastic bag. Seal & toss. Horticultural oil applied yearly by an arborist helps in maintaining the tree's health. 

Enjoy your cherry tree. Give it lots of water for the first few years until it establishes. Be sure to tease the roots outward if it is a containerized tree. If balled & burlapped, be sure to remove the burlap before planting if possible or roll it down so roots are visible. Make sure you remove any piled soil away from the trunk bottom & look for where the trunk naturally flares outward. Make sure this tree flare is visible & above at the surface. Many nursery farming practices will cover that flare in the field so be sure to uncover when you plant it.

Trees generally need no staking. Research has shown that staking prevents the natural movement of a tree in winds/breezes and discouraging that prevents the roots from moving outward. But if you do stake a tree, be sure to remove all the stakes, wires, rubber protection around the wire after it's been a year in the ground. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I love a weeping cherry but don't have one.  I would want the pink flowered one.  But, what I really want is the tart cherry tree becasue I love cherry pie and I can't get tart cherries here except the canned ones.  Not even frozen ones.  However, I don't think they do well here (N AL) and I also think you need two of them to get good harvest.  

As far as how far away from the house to plant, I wouldn't put it right up close to the house.  You'll have to look at what the mature height and width the tree gets and go from there.  If it's the larger tree, farther out in the yard would be more desirable IMO. 

My next door neighbor planted a weeping willow close to the house outside his kitchen window.  I was thinking "are you crazy?"  Apparently he doesn't know how large a weeping willow can get or that they will invade your plumbing because they love water.  He's gone now and I have no idea what the new neighbors will do with it if anything.  It's still young and they also may not know. 

Honored Contributor

Re: weeping cherry tree

[ Edited ]

@who     they can get quit large.   Any where between 8 foot to as large as 40 foot.   Really depends on the variety.   Never a good idea to plant any tree right next to a house.

Plant At least 10 feet away from the house.

Please also know that cherry trees tend to have a lot of surface  roots.. they can tear up a driveway years down the road... and go into your lawn area.  Good thing is that Weeping Cherry trees roots are not as evasive as other cherry trees.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@who     they can get quit large.   Any where between 8 foot to as large as 40 foot.   Really depends on the variety.   Never a good idea to plant any tree right next to a house.

Plant At least 10 feet away from the house.

Please also know that cherry trees tend to have a lot of surface  roots.. they can tear up a driveway years down the road... and go into your lawn area.  Good thing is that Weeping Cherry trees roots are not as evasive as other cherry trees.  

I had the Kwanzan cherry tree with the pink double flowers planted about 20' away from the house. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

thank you so much ladies you have been a great help . Be safe.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

We tried to take care of our tree.  We really did.  We thought and hoped that we would have that tree forever --- well, we thought the tree would be there well after we were gone!  So sad!  As I said earlier, sounds dumb maybe, but I cried and cried over that tree!.  I used to look out my kitchen window and see the beauty of it --- full bloom, in the fall, well --- every season.  And it was a joy to see how much the birds loved and enjoyed it!  It was like a part of our family!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin