Respected Contributor

I HAVE A PIGEON IN MY FEEDER...

Yesterday a Pigeon came here and hasn't left. He was sitting on the bird bath. This morning he was up on the roof on the gutters.  Now hes been sitting in my tray feeder helping himself,  but he doesn't leave...sits in it all day.  I chased him off, but he just sits on my lanai roof, and flies back onto the feeder.  I really dont mind him, I have several other feeders, but I don't like him hanging out in it ALLLLLL day, and the other birds avoiding that feeder.  What should I do??

Respected Contributor

Re: I HAVE A PIGEON IN MY FEEDER...

@Dazlin 

Could it be a mourning dove ?  Sometimes you know they are looking for a nesting place when they hang around the same area.

if it's not, try removing the feeder and see what it does.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I agree it's probably a morning dove. 

Respected Contributor

I have tons of mourning doves at my feeder. They seem to get along with all the other birds even the squirrels lol 

Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Dazlin 

Could it be a mourning dove ?  Sometimes you know they are looking for a nesting place when they hang around the same area.

if it's not, try removing the feeder and see what it does.

@jlkz ...nope, not a morning dove...BIG OLE Pigeon. 

Honored Contributor

I agree, it's annoying when they just pull up a chair and sit at the dining room table all day.  Another type of feeder might be better.  But, if you want to use the platform feeder, I'd leave it empty for a few days to a week and see if they move elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

It's probably a morning dove.  I have had them at my feeder too, but have not seen any lately

Respected Contributor

I get the doves too...this is NOT a dove.  Big Pigeon,  got iridescent color in his feathers and much bigger.  If I can get a pic, I'll post it, but trust me...its a Pigeon. 

Also on my neighborhood forum, someone posted they had a white Pigeon hanging around,  the one here is dark with iridescent feathers...so maybe someone has a coop nearby. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama ...    8)

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   Birds hang out where there is food. 

If you see a band on either of the pigeon's legs then it didn't start it's life out as feral.  Some banded birds that start their life in captivity do break free and join feral flocks.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise