Frequent Contributor

can anyone tell me anything about a weeping cherry tree , if they have one . Thank you so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Neighbor has one - what do you want to know?  Your question offers no clue - Google it

Honored Contributor

I have a weeping cherry bonsai.  Hope I can help.

Contributor

There are basically two kinds of weeping cherries here in NY. One produces a white flower and gets only about 8 feet tall and is called a Snow Fountain Cherry. You often see them cut off radically at the bottom, giving an 'umbrella' look to the tree.

The other is a cherry that grows to be 20-25 feet tall and produces a pink flower.

I hope that helps you.

Just as an aside, cherry/plum/pear trees (anything with a fruit name) are all in the same family and will flower at the same time. In lower NY that is late April.

Respected Contributor

@who  I have a weeping cherry tree.  I love it - it's a beautiful tree. I'm in New England.and It blooms early ... blooms are starting to fade now.  They are lovely tho!  Looks great without the blooms too. The weeping cherry blooms earlier than the upright cherry tree that I have. (that one is starting now)  I love them both.  Do you have any particular questions?

Valued Contributor

I have had a weeping cherry tree for about 10 years now. It doesnt get very tall but is does get thick and it does grow long if you let it. I cut mine back every year also and it looks like an umbrella. Mine has beautiful white blooms and then is green the rest of the year. Its probably one of my favorite trees in my yard. Its so different and very pretty. I would like another one.

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

I have a weeping cherry tree in my back yard and it is one of the most beautiful sights in the Springtime.

The lines of flowered branches blow and sway in the wind.

There are no big fruits evident like on the regular tart cherry tree, which I also have in my yard, so no pits fall on the ground.

The weeping cherry is about 30 years old and 30 feet tall, which is about half the size of my 100 + year old beech nut trees!

Frequent Contributor

do you trim the tree and how do you do it and how much

Frequent Contributor

how far away from the house do you have the tree

Frequent Contributor

how far from the house to plant it