Honored Contributor

I have maybe 20 pots of beautiful lilies--all the very fragrant types in pots. Some are budded and ready to bloom soon but others just have stems with no buds at all, just the leaves-----why???? the pots are big and only have 3 bulbs per each. I don't water them much, but our spring has been very grey with not much sun. I think about 1/3 of them are like this. any sugestions?

thx

Esteemed Contributor

I have lillies in pots and in the ground. They all bloom at different times even if they are the same type. I'm not a garden expert but that's been my experience. As long as they are getting some water and the weeds are under control and the wildlife is not an issue then I would just give it some time. 

Honored Contributor

My sister & I have Easter lilies potted indoor and outdoor in the ground. They bloom when they do. Sometimes they don’t bloom a whole season. Then the next year, they have lots of blooms. I don’t really understand it either. 

Here’s a photo of my indoor lily blooming right now. It didn’t bloom last year. 

image.jpg

Honored Contributor

@wilma---No by this time of year if they are going to bloom,, they have buds set and stems are tall and thick and those buds really get long and juicy before they bloom---the ones that are not doing that are still short and skinny with no buds forming at all. these lilies  bloom within a few weeks of each other during July and August. and a few in June--which they haven't. all are near my house and have no critters that eat them.  guess I will go see my local nursery people--

Honored Contributor

They may need some fresh soil if they've been in the same pots for a while. Most potting soils come with time-released fertilizer that's good for about six months. After that, the soilless mixes tend to starve plants. You could try top dressing with some Osmocote or similar slow-release fertilizer, but repotting them this fall in fresh soil might be your best option.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman---I was thinking that changing the dirt out would be good. Yesterday I pulled a few of those skinny stems out and they were attached to a  tiny bulb, almost like a chip of the original bulb. Some of the plants have been in the same pot for a few years now---think I have a fall project lined up for me---thanks!!!