Honored Contributor

The Fall Hummingbird Migration has begun!!!

[ Edited ]

For those that don't know, we don't have Hummingbirds during the Summer breeding season where we are in eastern NE. We only see them during the Spring and Fall migrations.

As of today we have 2 juvie male Ruby-throated hummingbirds that have showed up...WooHoo!

The earliest we have had a Fall migrator was a mature male Ruby-throated on 7/24/2010...and 2 Rufous Hummers...one on 7/29/2009 and one that stayed a few days from 7/28-7/30 in 2010.

The 1st couple of weeks of August we will see a few, but by the 2nd week, the numbers start to increase. We usually peak here about the 2nd week of September and have them through early-mid October Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Re: The Fall Hummingbird Migration has begun!!!

How exciting.  I love the hummers.Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Seems very early.  Maybe they know something we don't know.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I'm in CA and just came in from my allotted day to water my plants, a hummingbird was busy going from my feeder to my flowers.  Then it rested on a branch and was preening itself.  I love them because they are like in their own little world, paying no mind to anyone around them. Last year I was in Costco and they had brought a pallet of some plants.  A little hummingbird was going from plant to plant, wasn't even bothered by the crowd that gathered to watch it.  Wished I had my camera with me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  Actually, they are right on schedule. Some bird species have already begun their Fall migration...like those further north like up in Alaska and Canada. We will start seeing Orioles migrating through here in our area about now through next week too.

All the birds have already been molting...putting on their duller winter plumage for winter. That process takes a month or two before they have all their new feathers.

The end of July may seem early, but if they started migrating later, they may not have enough food available on their way to their wintering grounds...whether it be just down to Texas or the sothern most areas of South America. Each species move on their own schedule.

How do I know this...lots of observing and reading, reading, reading...over several years...HTH Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  Actually, they are right on schedule. Some bird species have already begun their Fall migration...like those further north like up in Alaska and Canada. We will start seeing Orioles migrating through here in our area about now through next week too.

All the birds have already been molting...putting on their duller winter plumage for winter. That process takes a month or two before they have all their new feathers.

The end of July may seem early, but if they started migrating later, they may not have enough food available on their way to their wintering grounds...whether it be just down to Texas or the sothern most areas of South America. Each species move on their own schedule.

How do I know this...lots of observing and reading, reading, reading...over several years...HTH Smiley Happy

Yesterday, I was standing in the garden, and a hummer with a red/purplish head came so close to my face, I froze, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

Where are you located Susan Louise?  Our bummers are still here in Nova Scotia.  They usually leave mid September.  I record their arrival and departure each year.  Arrival is usually mid May.  LM

Honored Contributor

Can you find my hummer?

DSCF8690.JPG

Trusted Contributor

How exciting! They sell humminbird feeders in the stores here, but I have never, ever seen one! It is warm here, so I wonder if they ever wind up here for the winter?

Esteemed Contributor

I have 6 feeders. We have had a lot of hummers this year. My siblings are jealous, they hardly have any which is highly unusual for them.

The one by our tv room picture window has a hummer about every 5 minutes.  We have had a few hover and seem to be looking in the window at us.

I can lay in my bed and see a feeder.  I can hear them chip as they land or depart.

The other three are by the patio. One by kitchen window, one by garage  and one in garden.  I can hear them when they land at the kitchen window.  Sometimes I will see two on the garden feeder. Usually they will buzz each other off of a feeder.