Respected Contributor

How much do I pay for raking leaves

[ Edited ]

My neighbor is out of work and is raking my yard. He won't say how much he would charge.He said he will take whatever because he needs work.  I am not sure what the proper amount is.  So far he has been raking for two hours.   I don't want to be cheap but I haven't ever paid anyone to do this before. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: How much do I pay for raking leaves

The going rate in my area is about $15 an hour for a flat yard... More if the yard is bigger and the leaves have to be swept to the curb from a long distance.

Respected Contributor

I would give him, at least $20, but it depends on how long he is raking. Is he picking them up or disposing of them, so he won't be back tomorrow to rake them? LOL Maybe $50 if you can afford it & he is cleaning them up?

Honored Contributor

i was going to say between $15-$20......if it is cold where you are i would also offer him a cup of coffee or tea......or a water.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When my Mom lived in her own home (1999) she was upset because the guy that was going to shovel the snow from her driveway would not take a $1.00.

Honored Contributor

$20 an hour

Respected Contributor

No kidding -I just paid a landscaping company $140 to rake the leaves from my yard, front, back and two sides and bring them to the landfill.  They did a great job - took them about 3 to four  hours with a crew of four.  I have three maple trees in my backyard, a magnolia and small maple in my front yard. A beautiful dogwood is in the side yard, and my neighbor has a cottonwood tree with a huge part of it impacting my yard  Lots of leaves.  I thought that was a bargain. That's about $35 an hour for four hours divided by four = $8.75 per person.  For the past three years the local high school baseball team = about 5 kids = raked my yard.  they  blew/racked the leaves into a large tarp several ties and then brought the tarps to the front driveway and emptied them in the drive way and then a local landscaper volunteered and came by with a huge vacum and took them away.  The kids were doing fund raising.  I paid them $200 - happy to do so.  It was for a good cause and they did a great job.  

Honored Contributor

The man who cuts my grass also did my leaves, and he charged  40.00 , it's a lot of work, so

it seemed fair.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Depending on how large your yard is and how many trees you have I would pay between $15 to $20 an hour. 

Esteemed Contributor

You don't say whether you have a big yard or small yard or lots of leaves or not all that many or if he's bagging them or having to haul them from the back out to the front curb on a tarp for town pickup or what. I have a large yard and tons of leaves and my guys had to do my front with a blower and then used a blower and backpack blower in my back  to get them into piles then raked them onto a tarp and then hauled them out front to the curb for town pickup. Took them a good two and a half hours and it cost me $115. And that was just the first cleanup, now I have 4 times as many leaves down including the ones that blow over here from my neighbors trees so another cleanup is on the agenda. I HATE OAK TREES. anyway I'd give him at least 25 bucks an hour.