Honored Contributor

I have each one of these types--didn't know about the difference except that the ones I have bloom or used to, around those hoildays. Have one from my MIL for all my marriage--45 years and she got it from her MIL decades before I was around; anyway it must be at least 100 years old now. So this summer, I re- potted them all--fresh appropiate dirt into a size bigger pot, even cleaned all the dust and yuk off them, set them in a great place and watered them as I should---and now, the newest one from 2016,  I have, which is a yellow flower, is ablaze with buds!!!!  And the others have a ton of little new segments and a few buds forming----

Such a sense of victory when a plan works out!!!Man Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: T-day, xmas, easter cactus

Wonderful!  My two Christmas cactus are budding also - so pretty!

Respected Contributor

My sister has a greeen thumb and she has the Christmas cactus that belonged to our grandmother.

Honored Contributor

The only houseplant I have is a Christmas cactus started from the one my farm grandma had in her bedroom when she died 51 years ago.   

I repotted it over the summer, and started one for my nephew.   

Honored Contributor

They are interesting plants that can survive a lot of neglect.  

I have a rosy red over 30 years old.  Always blooms around Christmas and a few other times during the year.  

Valued Contributor

So glad to hear about your plants! I have two Thanksgiving cactuses (schlumbergera truncate). My houseplant book shows these to have the leaves with the spikes sticking out from the edges. It shows the Christmas cactus (schlumbergera x buckleyi) as having more rounded leaves, without the spikes. The Easter cactus (rhipsalidopsis rosea - aka, hatoria rosea) has narrow leaves and is a different type of plant. My one Thanksgiving cactus is making blooms. I put them in complete dark starting in September and give them flower fertilizer at that time. I replanted them last fall and they didn't bloom much 😂 so I have big big hopes for this year.