Respected Contributor

Today I saw 4 of them near the same house they used this summer.  Noticed a couple going in and out,  and at least 4 sitting on the fence thats close to the house.  Im guessing its the parents and the babies that hatched over the early summer.   Im seeing lots of other bluebirds around also.   So glad i just checked the houses this week, I took out a wasp mud nest in one, and a frog camping in another.  I washed out the one with the nest and hosed it thoroughly, and now the bluebirds are going in.  I make sure I continue to check on these houses throughout the year.  Last season was my 1st time to have the bluebirds nest here in the houses I just put up, and im just thrilled to see them using it again.  I keep lots of feeders out and always put out mealworms.

Trusted Contributor

Re: MY BLUEBIRDS ARE BACK😃

@Dazlin   I would love to see pics of your bluebirds!  Thank you for taking care of them! 

Trusted Contributor

Our bluebirds are back, too. They have been checking out the nestboxes either for roosting or potentially for next spring. I do keep dried mealworms and some live ones (the feeder keeps out the larger birds). I was so happy to see them both together.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@sophiesofers wrote:

@Dazlin   I would love to see pics of your bluebirds!  Thank you for taking care of them! 

@sophiesofers ...ill try to take pics.  I had pics last season but too far away for you to see.   Check back tomorrow and during the week, I'd love to post pics of them😊

Honored Contributor

They may spend the winter with you roosting in their nest boxes.  One winter I had a Downy Woodpecker roost in one of my boxes.  I don't have the boxes out anymore, but I did enjoy the bluebirds and the Downy Woodpecker that winter.  

The nest box was right outside my bedroom window, and in the morning the woodpecker would be sitting there looking out the door to the box.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

20201107_070027.jpg

@Dazlin wrote:

Today I saw 4 of them near the same house they used this summer.  Noticed a couple going in and out,  and at least 4 sitting on the fence thats close to the house.  Im guessing its the parents and the babies that hatched over the early summer.   Im seeing lots of other bluebirds around also.   So glad i just checked the houses this week, I took out a wasp mud nest in one, and a frog camping in another.  I washed out the one with the nest and hosed it thoroughly, and now the bluebirds are going in.  I make sure I continue to check on these houses throughout the year.  Last season was my 1st time to have the bluebirds nest here in the houses I just put up, and im just thrilled to see them using it again.  I keep lots of feeders out and always put out mealworms.

I took this pic this morning...there are 3 bluebirds sitting on the fence, and one flew inside the house mounted on the white pole.  I hope you can see them🙂

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I also have a house outside my bedroom window,  but they haven't used it.   Maybe because there's no bushes there, idk?

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

20201107_070027.jpg

@Dazlin wrote:

I took this pic this morning...there are 3 bluebirds sitting on the fence, and one flew inside the house mounted on the white pole.  I hope you can see them🙂

I see them, and it looks like you live in Florida. Never saw one here in Northern WV. I have all kind of feeders out, and I'm sure we don't have them around here. We do have an abundance of varietys, but not Bluebirds.

Respected Contributor

I have been seeing them in our neighborhood.  Two weeks ago, I put out a halved orange and some jelly but no takers.  Now, I have out seed and meal worms.  I am seeing them buzzing around but so far, no action at my feeders.  Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

@HLP , yes, im in Central Florida.  Bluebirds are not particularly attracted to wild bird seeds...theyll eat berries,  dried fruits like raisens,  but mostly eat mealworms.   I use the dried mealworms ( not touching live worms😝).  I have a small plastic cup with holes on the bottom to drain,  we drilled it into to the fence post, near the birdhouse...I place a few mealworms in, and I also throw a few on top of my other feeders.  This time of year, most birds are feeding on all the abundance nature provides...seeds, berries, bugs.  But they all should be starting up coming back onto our feeders. 

Keep putting out mealworms, im sure they snatch some.  They're real quick, so you might not see them,  but try keep an eye.  They're so beautiful to see.  Enjoy 😃!!