Contributor

You will be fine!  I put mine in a pot much bigger and it did well.  They grow very big and one plant will fill your pot!

Valued Contributor

Last year my sister was looking for some plants to use on her deck.  She is a fiend for white so I told her I had seen an offer for 4 plants (Sunpatiens) on QVC and one option was all white.  The representative showed these plants and how in just a couple of weeks they went from little sprouts to California Redwoods.  They came and my sister went and 

bought the recomended size pots and soil at her garden center.  I kept asking her all summer if they had "exploded" and they never did.  They thrived, but never became more than small to moderate plants.  She bought two at the garden center for the fromt of her house and they grew to be twice as large as the QVC plants!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your feedback........all of it was helpful Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@781Florist wrote:

Last year my sister was looking for some plants to use on her deck.  She is a fiend for white so I told her I had seen an offer for 4 plants (Sunpatiens) on QVC and one option was all white.  The representative showed these plants and how in just a couple of weeks they went from little sprouts to California Redwoods.  They came and my sister went and 

bought the recomended size pots and soil at her garden center.  I kept asking her all summer if they had "exploded" and they never did.  They thrived, but never became more than small to moderate plants.  She bought two at the garden center for the fromt of her house and they grew to be twice as large as the QVC plants!

@781Florist  When I plant my Sunpatiens, I use Miracle Gro potting soil and a scoop of Root Blast in each pot at the bottom of the hole before placing the plant in it. I've found that the white ones don't do as well as the other colors. The flowers are smaller and get brown around the edges. That's a shame that your sister's Sunpatiens didn't grow as described.

Respected Contributor

@chlema wrote:

Planted mine last year one to a pot about 12" wide.  They did great, huge and healthy.  Some were from Philip, some were from Home Depot.  Both did well but HD's did a tad better - and they were cheaper lol.  This year I just got HD's.  

I do think there is a difference between impatients and sun patients.  I have both and the "regular" impatients wilt in the sun - at least in my area - northern Delaware - whereas the sunpatients thrive in sunshine.

@chlema , I agree that there is a difference; why else would they have 2 different names.  We get mostly sun here and we buy ours from a place about 45 minutes from us from a Mennonite family.  We've been going there so long, we've seen their children grow up.  Their prices cannot be beat anywhere so it's worth the drive, plus beautiful countryside in the Lancaster PA area.  

If we planted the regular impatiens, they would not do well as they are more of a shade loving plant.

We also plant ours with some Root Blast and it really does work.

Regular Contributor

I've only bought Sun Patiens locally and they thrive in the sun with daily watering.

New Guinea Impatiens also grow well in a sunny to partial sunny locations.

Good old fashion Impatiens like shade.