Esteemed Contributor

I got  4 sunpatiens from the Q and planted them in a pot about 18 high X about 12 diameter.  Afterwards I got to thinking that maybe it was too big and maybe they would all go to root and not the foliage and flowers.

Does anyone know the answer?  I did buy a pot smaller and plan to replant them, but won't if anyone knows if the bigger pot is okay.  Thanks for any replies Smiley Happy

By the way, they arrived in beautiful form!

Respected Contributor

Re: Sun Patiens

[ Edited ]

@Patriot3 

I got Phillip's sunpatiens last year and they were fantastic.  I planted 2 maybe three in a pot larger than yours and they filled out beautifully.  Give them a chance to spread and grow  They filled in fairly quickly and bloomed all summer +.  They did start to be a little leggy as I was slow to plant them out of their original packaging, but everything turned out great in the end.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought the  same sunpatients as the other poster mentioned from last yr a trio of 3 , pink,red, white. I did npt think they would do well because the plants were so small. Well, I put them inone pot and they grew so huge that I had to transplant to 3 separate  11" pots

Respected Contributor

Impatiens plants can grow spead out quite well if you give them enough room. Last year we planted 1 each in 6" pots and they did not do well.  We took them out of the pots and planted them in the ground and they made a remarkable recovery and grow quite large and showy.  I think 2 in a large pot would work out.  BTW even tho impatiens have always be said to be a shade plant we have always planted ours in a sunny location and they were large and beautiful so Sunpatiens is just a name for impatients IMO

Trusted Contributor

Sunpatiens are vigorous growers and they do spread up and out.  I would honestly only plant one in a 12 inch pot, but you can put in two at most and plant the rest somewhere else.  They will fill out beautifully in no time at all.

Honored Contributor

Just planted eight of them in a walkway border. I'm going to feed them some Miracle Grow.

Respected Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

Sunpatiens are vigorous growers and they do spread up and out.  I would honestly only plant one in a 12 inch pot, but you can put in two at most and plant the rest somewhere else.  They will fill out beautifully in no time at all.

I agree that 1 per pot is fine. I've been planting Sunpatiens in 14" pots since I retired almost 12 years ago. By July, the plant fills out beautifully and gets about a foot tall, maybe taller. It's hard to believe that it started out as a 3" seedling. 

Honored Contributor

I also purchased Watson Sunpatients last year.  One plant per 12" pot and they filled in nicely.

I was on AD and was supposed to get a shipment by now.

Got an email they are trying to get supply from the vendor....but they still have not shipped ....just says In Process.

I don't know if I should cancel and buy local or not.  I REALLY liked them last year.

Anyone else on AD for Phillip Watson Sunpatients?

Have you received them?

Valued Contributor

8FD4A4FC-AE58-4D6D-BB2C-8C71AC6B7C75.jpegF7301E05-B54B-4ACD-B40E-4B566DF950F6.jpeg

The top has 3 plants , and the bottom has four plants . I get them every year and always have good luck . 

Trusted Contributor

Planted mine last year one to a pot about 12" wide.  They did great, huge and healthy.  Some were from Philip, some were from Home Depot.  Both did well but HD's did a tad better - and they were cheaper lol.  This year I just got HD's.  

I do think there is a difference between impatients and sun patients.  I have both and the "regular" impatients wilt in the sun - at least in my area - northern Delaware - whereas the sunpatients thrive in sunshine.