Esteemed Contributor

You know those beginning of the year garden days when you do too much? Well, we just had a big one.

We had three birch in a stand of birch that died last year.  Every big wind, we were picking up twigs and branches.  Out came the chain saw today and we took down all three of them.

One was quite large and I was holding my breath the whole time.  We tied it on to our UTV.  It was in between a red maple, a burning bush and a concrete statue in my front yard.  No idea how, but DH felled it without a scratch on anything.  Prayers answered!  Then cut into 15" lengths for the wood stove and cleaning up the mess. Whew, a lot of work!  

See this photo...  The birch behind the lady.  Looks bigger closer up😊!   LM

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Your picture is upside down on my pad.  The mods say to do any tiny edit on your photo before posting to prevent this.

Carolyn has posted a landscaping blog...you need to post some of your gorgeous pictures.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, thanks for that.  How's this?  

PS, I have never checked out the blogs.  Will wander over.  LMimage.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Today I dug out a so so rose for the plant sale, then ran two errands before coming home to prune the remaining two hydrangeas and sweep up fallen bird seeds. I just finished walking a mile on the treadmill and I am now beat. Thank goodness for Motrin!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

The photo is upright on my iPad.  Doesn't look as though it was reposted.   ???????

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  It's still upside down on my Samsung S2.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom

EVery time I do too much and the back is going to make me pay, I put a Thermacare on my lower back before I go to bed.  It is still warm next AM and the back is good to do it all over again.

Good Luck. And beautiful planting bed.  One question:  where ever we had mulch next to the grass, it usually either walked over to the grass or was floated over by the rain.  it ultimately matted and killed the grass so we had to put large stones to keep it reined in.   How do you keep the mulch from moving?

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Lilysmom

EVery time I do too much and the back is going to make me pay, I put a Thermacare on my lower back before I go to bed.  It is still warm next AM and the back is good to do it all over again.

Good Luck. And beautiful planting bed.  One question:  where ever we had mulch next to the grass, it usually either walked over to the grass or was floated over by the rain.  it ultimately matted and killed the grass so we had to put large stones to keep it reined in.   How do you keep the mulch from moving?

My garden areas have bricks or Belgium blocks to keep the soil and mulch in the area.

Picture is of the veggie garden to give an example:

Veggie Garden 2014.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Kachina624, thanks for that.  How's this?  

PS, I have never checked out the blogs.  Will wander over.  LMimage.jpeg

@Lilysmom  Upside down. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Good timing for your thread. We have had a really early warm (some days hot) April for us in the PNW. The first day out I did a big job similar to yours and could barely walk when I finally went in at 5:00. At 71, the mind is willing, but the body is much weaker than it used to be. Beautiful job with your re-do. Thank you for sharing.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein