Honored Contributor

Re: Ruby-throated Hummingbird Spring 2015 migration map

Ok Susan--I meant rufus not rubys---a little harsh about the homework comment !

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2015 wagirl said:

Ok Susan--I meant rufus not rubys---a little harsh about the homework comment !

wagirl, And it a shame you are taking it too seriously. As far as I am concerned, that is what I did myself. I stated in the same post of all the hours I spent researching and doing 'my homework'...

I call it 'homework' when I'm learning things through reading or otherwise, no matter what it is. I consider it a joy to do homework/learn. I was still going to college taking classes til a few years ago and I'm 55!

What is harsh about homework? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Esteemed Contributor

Not going to commit to exactly what we have here in Oregon but for the last few weeks I am not getting many takers. We had two very cold snaps (for us) within the last two months and I wonder if hummers can do a little mid winter mini migration? Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2015 Still Raining said:

Not going to commit to exactly what we have here in Oregon {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} but for the last few weeks I am not getting many takers. We had two very cold snaps (for us) within the last two months and I wonder if hummers can do a little mid winter mini migration? Anyone know?

Hi Still Raining,

I guess I am confused by your inquiry. You don't want to commit to what you have at your place, and yet you want to know if any do a mini migration...

I added very helpful links to my post (#9) in this thread...2 of which if you scroll through the initial page will have what species of hummers are in your state. Additionally, some areas in your state may have certain species more than other locations.

I don't know where in Oregon you are. Maybe there is someone here who also lives in Oregon who can help you more...or click on the forum link in my post above (#9). There are folks from all over the country there too.

Some species migrate, others don't. There are other factors too...like what time of the year it is to determine/narrow down the species you are seeing at any given time.

I could type for hours on the various species in your area, but to me it makes most sense for you to look closely at your hummers to determine the species...which means, unfortunately doing a little homework/work. If you don't own binoculars, it would be a wonderful investment. There are many that are inexpensive. Males and females look different in all the various species...AND others look very similar. For example, juvie Ruby-throated hummingbird males look ALMOST identical to a female Ruby-throated hummingbird. Juvie males have varying numbers of their tiny red feathers coming out...which makes them easily to distinguish them from each other here when DH and I document them. Some will have a full 5 O'Clock shadow, and others may only have one or two feathers showing.

Unless one has perfect eyesight and can see them upclose...REALLY up close, one cannot tell the difference.

The same goes for determining species. A mature male Rufus is very easy to recognize...but not so if it's just a female or juvie male. They look like a lot of other hummingbird species unless seen up close.

If you can, take pics and determine which species you have...then read about the species online if you don't want to buy books. The more you know...as the saying goes...it's a good thing Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes, ouch. Just trying to stay out of the ruby/rufus issue. I do indeed know which ones I have coming to the porch.

My question was about bad weather causing a secondary migration long after the primary one. As opposed to a die-off.

Honored Contributor

Still Raining, Really?...Yikes, Ouch? Funny how when one spends time to help others that they become offended in the process. Most folks I know like to feel empowered by finding things out on their own giving them just some guidance/direction (links/info). I have given many helpful links and I am glad there are some folks that do appreciate it.

Additionally, I guess I could be as easily offended by you since I didn't even get a 'thank you' for trying to help you.

As I mentioned previously, without knowing the general whereabouts you're located it is difficult to say one way or the other if any type of weather related migrations might be going on with the species you have in your area.

I can only suggest trying a region specific forum or do some searching on the internet for your general area and transitory wintering habits of the species you have. There is also the possibility of someone posting in this thread that lives in your area giving you some additional info. I also posted a link in my post #9 to a hummingbird forum with very knowledgeable people. Either you can empower yourself by using any of the links/info I offered in all my posts or not, that is up to you.

You asked: "We had two very cold snaps (for us) within the last two months and I wonder if hummers can do a little mid winter mini migration? Anyone know?"

Below are a couple of links I found that might give you some 'general' insight...both were VERY easily googled by entering into the search weather and migrating birds/hummingbirds. However, they are not specifically of your Hummingbird species...whatever they are.

CLIMATE CHANGE

EARLY SPRING MIGRATION RUBY-THROATED (2013)

Honored Contributor

Oh, good lord---I didn't mean to start up such a ruckus ---I appreciate the wealth of your knowledge of our little hummers, Susan, and really I do know what types I have in my back yard---just said the wrong r bird. Anyway---those little guys are chasing and displaying as we speak. Both are males as they are so pretty. Usually have 3 females buzzing around too. Once there were 4 feeding at my feeder at the same time!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 wagirl said:

Oh, good lord---I didn't mean to start up such a ruckus ---I appreciate the wealth of your knowledge of our little hummers, Susan, and really I do know what types I have in my back yard---just said the wrong r bird. Anyway---those little guys are chasing and displaying as we speak. Both are males as they are so pretty. Usually have 3 females buzzing around too. Once there were 4 feeding at my feeder at the same time!!

I understand you just mis-spoke / -typed. And then all this. Smile

Honored Contributor

The migration has begun...somewhat early...1st migration sighting reported from Spring, TX {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

LINK

Respected Contributor

Here in California, I feed hummers year round. Saw one today at each of my feeders. Mostly We get Annas but I have seen Rufous at times. They will come up to your face and scold you if the feeder needs refilling.