Esteemed Contributor

Last night around midnight, the trail cam took this shot.

EC1D4E03-CCE3-439D-959A-3806B731B1C3.jpeg

First thing this morning, our Lab doing her yard investigations went right for the spot.

20914D3A-6E55-4A7B-B6C1-570BEAD723B0.jpeg

They have black bears further down the street in the green bins.   At least we haven’t seen them yet but the Fall is still young.

This coyote (at least I think it was this guy) was across the street in my neighbor’s yard before he came here.  The coyotes are looking big and healthy after a surge in the rabbit population.  LM

Respected Contributor

I live where there are coyotes too.  I have seen them from afar, but the most impressive trait is their vocalization. At dusk we can sometimes hear their howls; I often wonder if they are communicating with each other.  Nature is fascinating.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nocturnal visitors

[ Edited ]

Do you have a fence? My dog wouldn't stay in the yard.

I see coyotes too.

How close does the animal/person for the trail cam to go off?

@Lilysmom

Honored Contributor

I'm glad there's nothing like that in my back yard.

DH sits on the patio smoking a cigar drinking whiskey. He came in & said something ran across hit feet. It was dark so he was not sure what it was.

Had to be a squirrel or a possum. It's happened to him twice now. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you ever hear their kill call they make ,it will scare you, i have heard it,there is such a animal here in northeast that is a coy wolf, i saw one this summer,it was huge,so please be careful with your lab.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest, there are coy wolves here also.  Some of them are really big.  Coyotes/coy wolves are part of life here.  We border woodlands.  I have no anxiety about meeting one.  It is a pack that would scare me.  

If our Lab found a coyote in her yard, the whole world would know.  She can be very vocal.

The property is well lit.  When Lily goes out for last call, we go with her.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1, we have an electronic fence.  Our development does not allow physical fences.

I don’t know how close to the cam the animal has to get but they have quite a good range.  LM

Honored Contributor

Wish we had some coyotes here. Might put a dent into the deer population. We have a lot of rabbits here as our homes are near a forested area.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, we often vacation on Hilton Head.  I was amazed at the deer population.  We rented a house bordering a golf course.  They were everywhere, on the golf course, strolling the streets.  When we left around 4 am to head home, I was terrified we would hit one.  I swear I held my breath until the sun rose. LM

Respected Contributor

When we first moved to central FL, DH saw weird looking tracks in our yard.  A neighbor told us it was armadillo tracks, but we have never seen one

Denise