Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone use any of the mosquito control services to keep their yard somewhat free of mosquitos?  It is a little expensive, but I am wondering if it would be worth it so that it would be comfortable to sit outside in the evening.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: Mosquito Control Question

We used to and in the beginning we had good results.  As time went on though, they became less responsive and did the yard in a very rushed manner.  They also didn't come out and do a re-spray if we had mosquitoes which they did do when we first started with them.  We started having lots of mosquitoes.  We decided to switch over to Dynatraps and have been pleased.  Besides not having biting bugs, good bugs like lightening bugs have returned to our yard.  HTH

Respected Contributor

Yes...our neighborhood HOA contracts a service that comes and sprays. They back up in the driveways and spray and go to every house. But we still have mosquitoes because they don’t spray often enough. We have a lot of wooded areas around us and a man made canal behind the homes across the street so its almost impossible to get rid of them. They need to spray weekly but they only do it every 3 weeks or so.  We had contracted to get a screened porch back in February so we could enjoy the hazy, hot humid summer nights without being a buffet for bugs but when covid hit that went out the window. Maybe next year...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our city sprays if we call which helps for a while.  I've already asked to have my street sprayed in June.

I spend a lot of time working in the yard and sitting on the deck.  I keep Yard Guard handy and will spray under my chair and under the deck a little while before I go out each day.  I can't spray more than that because I don't want my dog to accidentally ingest it.  But it does help for a while.  

Super Contributor

I used a service for several years and had great results.  This year I decided it was a bit too expensive - $80 every 3 weeks for 9 months - and decided not to renew.  We'll see as summer really gets going if I give in and call them to restart the spraying.