Respected Contributor
I noticed Roberta’s did not have good reviews. I ordered Cottage Farms dark blue variety. Any comments? I like it’s perennial.
Esteemed Contributor

Depends on where you are.  Lavender falters in humid climates and can get very woody and be difficult to rejuvenate.  Then again, a harsh winter, especially a wet winter, can doom their roots.  This plant is native at high altitudes.

I have no problem with Cottage Farms.  Realize that they will be small plants that may take a few years to get very large, and make sure that you open the package immediately and water as necessary.

Plant in full sun in well drained, to dry, soil (however, water regularly during the establishment phase).  

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I love the look of Lavender plants.  Bees love it so consider well  where you'll plant it.  I had lavender going up the side of my cut out steps.  Looked great but Bees were always buzzing around the handrail.  Had to move them all to another boarder  for peace of mind.

Honored Contributor

No luck with Cottage Farms.  Received moldy Hibiscus roots.  Were sent to me again with moldy roots.

Thyme began dying in the pan the day after I received them.  Planted...continued to die except for a few stragglers. Asked for replacement, the same thing happened.  Only a few lived.  

They wouldn't replace them again.  So, no more for me.  

Respected Contributor

Last year I ordered the 

Cottage Farms 4 piece Dwarf Fragran Purple Lavender. They looked fine when they arrived. I planted them all in the same area, but half died. Could have been me. I have a brown thumb.

This year I've orderd the Roberta's 3 piece Hardy Lavender.

I can't wait to get them & get them growing. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with what @Sweetbay magnolia said about lavender. They dislike wet feet so if you have clay soil, they may not do well even if planted in full sun.

You have to realize lavender are field flowers that do well with not a lot of water but lots of sun.

Other field flowers that do well in those conditions are poppies, gazanias, gallardia, daisies, daylilies & coreopsis. 

With lavender, in the spring you can cut back the woody parts caused by winter damage with no foliage on them & they will bounce back. 

They make great companion plants to roses. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
New Contributor

I agree with this, Lavender falters in humid climates and can get very woody and be difficult to rejuvenate. One of my cousins is also fond of keeping and collecting a variety of flowering plants in her garden area. But she has also taken some precautions to them like last week she contacted a pest control for getting Rid of all those insects and pests that might harm her flower and plants. Likewise you can also try out protecting your plants in this manner.