Esteemed Contributor

I just noticed 2 days ago that they are in my flower boxes .  That sight of holes in the leaves and red flowers were the give away!  Last yeR we had none so I wasn't thinking about it.  I want them gone!!! My DH bought so ething from our landscaper to pray on everything,  but I hate that and can't find anything organic out there.  He also picked up those traps you hang,  they seem lime a lot of trouble and besides it seems you would attract every beetle in the neighborhood.  We only hsve 15 other neighbors but still.    We have right now resorted to picking them off and putting into soapy hit water in a bucket.    I don't want to keep they up though till the end if august when there finally gone.  Any tips that anyone can offer that also hsve a problem with these pests ? 

Appreciate it Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

"That sight of holes in the leaves and red flowers"

confused.gifWhat do they have to do w/seeing JBs? confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"That sight of holes in the leaves and red flowers"

confused.gifWhat do they have to do w/seeing JBs? confused.gif

that's what they do.n they chew holes in the leaves and flowers.  I guess you never had a JB problem.

Esteemed Contributor

and from what I've been told and observed red is a color they are attracted to.  Because of the mild temos in the winter they are saying then numbers of them are large so this summer they are eating everything not just Red ! At least that is whst our gard en dnters have told us .

Honored Contributor

Re: Japanese Beetles !!!

[ Edited ]

No, we don't have a beetle problem.  Matter of fact no insect problem.  Our plants, gardens & flowers are "treated" by landscapers every week.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

Yes, they are everywhere!!  Noticed them earlier in the week and now they are out in force.  They are trying to annihilate my roses but I am after them.  Used to spray but just don't like commercial pesticides so I just spend alot of time hand picking them.  Tried the hanging traps a few times and they didn't work for me very well.  I am outside most of the day anyway so I mosey around the garden and flower beds and grab them and either step on them or drop them in a can with whie vinegar &salt and  they die.  They also love my tropical hibiscus and meyer lemon which is blooming now.  Am on a mission!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Japanese Beetles !!!

[ Edited ]

My brothers and I used to go out with soup cans to pick them off everything and see who picked the most.   At the end of the day, mom would put a drop of lighter fluid in our cans, follow us outside to our burn spot with the paper trash for the day, and set them on fire.   The one with the most bugs in their can got extra dessert.   

Sticky fly traps work as well.  

Honored Contributor

The best bet is picking by hand and dropping into a soapy bucket of water. This will keep them from reproducing The beetle traps are also a good organic alternative over insecticides which can harm beneficials. 

One thing I have noticed, feeding the birds year round has cut back on me seeing them in my roses. I think while they are awaiting their turn at the feeders they find and eat the grubs in our lawn.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Has anyone tried using Diatomaceous Earth to get rid of them?  We have them too and I've been reading that DE is a great solution....

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Frequent Contributor

They are devouring my roses as we speak.  I hate bugs so I am squeamish about picking them off though I have done it a few times.  When I do there are more within a few hours--frustrating!.  The insecticides are harmful to bees so that's not an option.  They say the traps will only attract more beetles.  I give up.