Honored Contributor

Re: Invasive Blackeyed Susans

@Dazlin wrote:

I love blackeyed Susie's...i bought a potted plant and it died.  Did any of you start these from seeds?  I'd like to try again...my husband is working on a new area in our side pasture,  plenty of room.    Im in Florida, still warm here...maybe he could start a few in small pots and plant in early spring??

One plant is what i started with many years ago,wish i could give you mine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest ...LOL...I was going to ask if I can have some😄.   Ill see if stores still have seeds out...i wonder if they are a cool weather flower,  but ill give it shot again. 

Honored Contributor

They are one of the plants on our state's (Michigan) invasive species list.  After reading this thread I now know why.  The most prolific around here is purple loosestrife.  The strange thing is I just love that plant.  It grows mainly along the road in ditches, it makes the road look better IMHO.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin , I am in zone 5 and they thrive here as well.  LM

Respected Contributor

Stores are not selling seeds now, so hubby ordered online. Hes going to start in small pots...hopefully I'll have pics to share next summer. We don't mind if they spread. I love them, they remind me of old country flowers 💐
Respected Contributor

speaking of invasive...I dare anyone here to try to get rid of feverfew...I've been trying for 20+years and they keep coming back.

Super Contributor

I wish I had that problem. I never had a problem growing them in MD, but I can't keep them alive through a summer here in NM.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I had them taking over.  Having trouble even growing them.  I will just give you  my contact information and you can mail them to me.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I've grown them here for years and they've never been invasive for me. In fact, they don't spread at all. Maybe the local goldfinch population eats the seeds before they can spread? 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!