Esteemed Contributor

I love Blackeyed Susans but they have taken over my garden.  If they were somewhere else in my garden it would be ok, but they are in an area in the back of my house and have taken over everything.  Last year I dug some out but they are back and drooping over.  They even moved to another section that had day lilies, now they have taken over that section too.  If I try digging them out again, I really have no where to plant them.  My neighbor across the street has them in her front garden and they made their way and invaded the area around my lamppost.  What to do?

Super Contributor

Re: Invasive Blackeyed Susans

I have them in my front garden.  I have to really work at it to keep them in check.  If I find some growing in another area, I just pull them up and discard them as weeds.  

Honored Contributor

Pull them out by hand in the spring and stay on top of ithe situation through summer.

My neighbor used to garden a little, but seems to have lost all interest.  Blackeyed susans have taken over his front and back gardens, and spread to a neighbor's garden across the road (similarly, she has little interest in gardening). .In back, his gardens are adjacent to mine, so I'm ever on the watch for volunteers.

I think blackeyed susans are pretty as wildflowers, but they have no place in most home gardens.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew them just once.  Yes, invasive and so are columbines.  I just kept pulling them out until they were gone.  They're pretty, but............

Esteemed Contributor

@Biftu  I agree with @ValuSkr . You have to spot them in the spring and pull them. Then be on the lookout through the summer and continue to pull. Only allow them where you want them. I allow them to grow near my birdbaths, so the birds have somewhere to perch and will have seeds for the fall. I also cut back the plants around July 4. They seem to be less leggy that way. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone, I was beginning to think it was just me.  I did not plant them, they were here when I moved in.  I feel bad just throwing them out, but they asked for it!

Honored Contributor

They do spread, what i had a problem with was bee balm,i planted one bunch 3 yrs. ago,and they just took over,dug up,pulled up.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

They do spread, what i had a problem with was bee balm,i planted one bunch 3 yrs. ago,and they just took over,dug up,pulled up.

Yes, bee balm is another one that spreads like crazy.  I had it for three or four years before removing altogther.  It was taking over my small garden.  I believe it spreads by rhizome, unlike blackeyed susan which spreads by reseeding.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, bee balm is another one that spreads like crazy.  I had it for three or four years before removing altogther.  It was taking over my small garden.  I believe it spreads by rhizome, unlike blackeyed susan which spreads by reseeding.

Yes,it does it is in the family of mint.I put plants out by my driveway,advertised in local online site,i had for free,people just kept coming to get them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I love blackeyed Susie's...i bought a potted plant and it died.  Did any of you start these from seeds?  I'd like to try again...my husband is working on a new area in our side pasture,  plenty of room.    Im in Florida, still warm here...maybe he could start a few in small pots and plant in early spring??