Honored Contributor

I bought one two years ago at Home Depot.  It had flowers on it when I purchased it.  The next year it only grew leaves.  Same thing this year.  More and more stalks growing, but no flowers.  And the leaves have holes so something must be eating at them.  I sprayed with Sevin.  Is there something I should be doing or not doing to get this plant to flower?

Esteemed Contributor

Can't figure my own out either.....some grow on old wood - some on new.  Cut it back one Fall had 2 blooms........so thought okay it grows on old wood and had lots of healthy flowers.  So didn't cut it back last Fall  2019 and this year .................nothing but old dried out stalks from last year..........3 weeks ago cut it back and now healthy green leaves appear (from the ground) but don't expect many flowers. 

Guess it's just the roll of the dice. 

Respected Contributor

I bought two hydrangeas at Walmart a few years ago and now they are huge and full of flowers!!

I mulch around the bottom, planted them to make sure they are not in full sun all day, and chose a spot where they do not get waterlogged.

Perhaps you could try some fertilizer.

They are supposed to be pretty easy to grow, but sometimes the soil can affect them.

Honored Contributor

Are they planted in the shade?

They will bloom if they get the morning sun...only three to four hours of sun a day is needed.

Honored Contributor

Location is important.  

They can tolerate some sun, but like more shade.  Mine get morning sun, afternoon shade.  

Is it getting enough water?  Mine thrive in moist soil.  Do you have mulch around it?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Are they planted in the shade?

They will bloom if they get the morning sun...only three to four hours of sun a day is needed.

In the morning they are shaded but they get afternoon and late day sun.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Location is important.  

They can tolerate some sun, but like more shade.  Mine get morning sun, afternoon shade.  

Is it getting enough water?  Mine thrive in moist soil.  Do you have mulch around it?

They had mulch last year but this year I didn't put any down.  I water every day.

Regular Contributor

There is a really good video on Youtube answering your

question.  You might want to check it out.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My hydrangea is having an identity crisis and can't decide if it wants to be pink or blue.

20200622_081536.jpg

It's mostly blue though. Having two flowers side by side in different colors though is king of neat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I bought one two years ago at Home Depot.  It had flowers on it when I purchased it.  The next year it only grew leaves.  Same thing this year.  More and more stalks growing, but no flowers.  And the leaves have holes so something must be eating at them.  I sprayed with Sevin.  Is there something I should be doing or not doing to get this plant to flower?

Following.  My husband planted 2 of them 4 years ago.  The last three years they've always come back with flowers.  This is the first year when all we've gotten so far is leaves.  The plants themselves look healthy.  Very full, very green.  Just no flowers.  The only thing different that happened was that our lawn people trimmed them but I don't think they did it incorrectly because they do most of the lawns on my street and we all have hydrangeas and others are fine.