Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone ever used one of those backyard greenhouse buildings?  The’re small enclosed areas for growing.  I was thinking that might be something I would try as a little hobby; planting and growing various vegetables or flowers.  

Honored Contributor

You'll want to check your local building code office for rules and regulations regarding greenhouses. My neighbor and I were going to get one back in the eighties, but the regulations were absurd. There was a required set back from every property line that severely limited the size of greenhouse we could install. Then you needed electricity, two unrelated heat sources (a primary and backup), hot and cold running water with a sink and drain. If the greenhouse was above a smallish square footage (I think it was 75 sq ft) it required it's own bathroom. My township clearly didn't want anyone putting a greenhouse up in their yard.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

There was one here when I moved in and it is mainly used for starting plants.

It is connected to my well, septic and electricity/generator.

More to it than one would think.

Esteemed Contributor

Try a raised garden - 4 planks of wood connected at the corners - or - get preformed fake stone kit (like I did).  Presently have tomato plant growing by the minute - some years I fill it with flowers.  A hose or mother nature will water it and the sun will be direct. 

Layer stone on the bottom for drainage and fill with soil.   No government approval necessary.

Respected Contributor

someone in my area was looking to buy one 6x8 and someone had one in their garage they never opened. They said it cost them 699.00 and they would sell it for 450.00.

I would love to have one.

Esteemed Contributor

I had no idea what it entailed.  Thanks for the info.  I might have to think about something else.