Regular Contributor

Re: How much do you pay your gardener a month?

I call my guy mow & blow and just went up to 35 a week.....he will do more if I tell him. He has to be told exactly what to do and if he does more than pull a weed etc I pay him more like stack some wood etc but he is reliable. When I fed the birds once I left the birdseed by my back door and heard something well it was a rat...so I got a trap and one night i heard it I freaked out panic panic panic so I called him he was over in 5 minutes bagged it and took it away. So I figure he is a good guy he used to be a neighbor....and worth it to me.

Esteemed Contributor

It is so hard for me to comprehend having a gardener. Even when I was working, I mowed my own lawn, pulled weeds, trimmed roses, and pruned 36 rose trees and bushes.

Tonight I just got in from blowing the little white things that fall off my neighbors tree and cutting some of my roses to make a bouquet. Also watered the back yard, and this weekend will feed all thirty six trees and bushes. I have a large front and larger back and side yard.

The only time I hire is because I can't get up on ladder anymore, I could, but being alone, I don't want to have a fall. I'm 79 in a couple of months. The exercise is great.

Now it is not because I have a lot of time, I volunteer three places during the week, go to a gym, walk 5 miles a day, do TI Chi twice a week, plus run errands. Have we gotten to be a lazy generation? I'm saying if you can afford it and don't feel like being bothered, OK, no judging, but I'm old, in numbers, and do it.

It was very hard when I was working full time, but couldn't afford a gardener. I can now, but hey, it's good for me. My 88 year old friend and her 84 year old husband have lots of land and even clean their own pool. It's our generation I guess. Her Granddaughter has a very small front lawn and hires out and she is only 36 years old. Heaven help her in elderly years if she doesn't develop muscles and stamina now.

Like another poster said, I am the only one in the whole neighborhood out there. The young kids on either side of me have gardeners. Two guys come in, zoom, zoom, literally gone in 15 minutes, back and front. One kid pays 40 every two weeks. The guys coming in do nothing but mow. They wave to me all the time and say how nice my 17 round bushes and front look. I use an edger on 17 bushes in front. Use to take me 12 hours, now I have to do four a day, so about 4 days. Put a sheet down because of little rock base , trim, take sheet up, put down in another spot. As you can tell, I am strong. One time hired for these bushes and the person just about killed them all. Oh well GOD BLESS THOSE WITH GARDENERS.

Esteemed Contributor

My gardener is me.... and I get paid with the pleasure of doing the work, plus the joy of watching it all grow and get beautiful. I guess you could say that sitting in my porch swing and looking at a well-manicured lawn and gardens is payment enough for me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Years ago, I hired a so-called gardener, but really he was just a mow and blow guy. I found him digging up my plants calling them weeds, and when he lopped off huge branches of a Cedar tree when I had told him only to prune the Junipers, he was fired right then and there. If one wants a true gardener, I expect it would cost much more. I do it all and take my pay in buying more plants.

Respected Contributor

My husband does the mowing, I do all the landscaping. He tends to get prune/chainsaw happy if I tell him to trim something.

Respected Contributor

On 4/4/2015 tototwo said:

My gardener is me.... and I get paid with the pleasure of doing the work, plus the joy of watching it all grow and get beautiful. I guess you could say that sitting in my porch swing and looking at a well-manicured lawn and gardens is payment enough for me.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I agree, it's relaxing to me.

Honored Contributor

On 4/11/2015 nunya said:

My husband does the mowing, I do all the landscaping. He tends to get prune/chainsaw happy if I tell him to trim something.

So does mine, so I always supervise, lol.

Contributor

I love to cut grass...do all my landscaping too. I think I'm the only woman in the neighborhood that does. My DH is a lucky man. I only require a twelve pack of Coronas with extra limes.

Respected Contributor

I don't pay my gardener a dime but I do sleep with him, so that surely counts for something {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Valued Contributor

I've been on this earth for many years and have yet to know anyone who has a gardener. A young person to mow the lawn, yes - but no gardeners. Gardening was (and still is) done by the homeowners or their children.