Honored Contributor

Re: How much do you pay your gardener a month?

On 3/30/2015 twopeas said:

Get a bottle of spectracide and spray a small amount on a few leaves of each strand of morning glory and it will kill the roots. I've used it for years.

Spectracide contains 2,4D as does Weed Be Gone.

If you want, instead of spraying it on the leaves, take an artist brush and paint the leaves -- sometimes a spray gets on plants you do not want removed.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Haha, that is a good one. Can't afford a gardener, really really low on the priority list (actually, it does not even exist on the priority list). I do it all myself.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Contributor

we have a large yard pay $180 a month for full service ,he come once a week .I live in San Diego.

Regular Contributor

I wish, I do it all myself. I look at it this way, it's cheaper and more fun than spending time at a gym, and it's good for your health. We have a 98 year old woman (minus cutting her lawn) will do all her gardening. She's quite amazing to say the least. Makes you want to do your own yard and not pay someone else to do it.

Super Contributor

I forgot about the weed control and pest control for the lawn. We have a service come and do that also, DH pays that and so I am not really sure what it is now. I think it is still around $120/quarter. They spray the lawn with some kind of liquid weed control stuff and then they come back a few weeks later and apply pest control which includes killing ants etc.

They apply fertilizer too but I think that is only a few times a year. A winterizer and then something in the spring.

Regular Contributor

I am a 78 yr old widow, I pay $35 a wk during mowing and edging season, I do little clean up but when it is more difficult and require lifting and digging or heavy work, I pay extra for each task. I usually try to get a quote from him ahead since he might take advantage after the task is done..If it is a huge job like a tree, I call his references. It is a constant struggle to get him to notice the twigs, leaves and other little things that I see but he doesn't or he is in a hurry and just don't do it..I do my own pot plants and do some light trimming of bushes or shrubs..Check with your neighbors and go with the average according to the work involved.. I will add: I use an organic fertilizer company to spray fertilizer etc about 4/5 times a year so that is extra but for me, going organic and not being able to do it myself it is worth it to keep my yard going. Hiring it all done can be a headache so be sure to get references and ask lots of questions ahead of time.. Good luck

Super Contributor

I pay $50 for each mow, edge, and blow. I have a pretty big lot. They come every other week. I pay extra for other services. I have them do a big weeding of the flower beds (and I have many) about twice a year. Another time i have them mulch everything. Then I have them do fall clean up,,which includes trimming branches and bushes. Each of the various services are different prices. They do my leaves pretty much when they mow,,blowing them to the area they mow, so it seems kept up with. So basically my answer is the cost is not set, other than the mowing stuff and is ongoing throughout the season, depending on what I need done.
Honored Contributor

I don't even know anyone that has a gardener! In my neighborhood, everyone pays someone to cut their lawn. That's what I just couldn't get use to when we moved here 18 years ago. No one does ANYTHING themselves! No one is ever outside gardening. We never, ever see any neighbors. They work to live in their upper end homes and that's it. We cut our own lawn, pull our own weeds, plant my own flowers, do everything ourselves. AND our property is the best looking one in our subdivision! You can surely tell its cared for with love.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

We currently have spring and fall clean-up at our lake home; each being $300. We are considering adding mowing to the contract as the lot is quite large.

Here in the city we have a small lot and while my husband probably enjoys it less with each passing year, he is very picky. He changes directions every time he mows--horizontally, vertically, and both diagonal directions and his rows are lined up perfectly. A service doesn't provide the same care that he takes with our yard.

Perhaps it is regional, but here we call it a lawn service. When I think of a gardener, I think of a kind, gentle man on his knees lovingly planting geraniums. Smile

Trusted Contributor

We have a few acres that we keep mowed, and we pay a local yard service to do that for us. They cut grass, trim around all fences, driveways, patios, flower beds and our pond. It takes about 15 "man hours" to finish the job. We pay a pretty penny for it, but it's well worth it.

We take care of everything else, all of the hedge clipping, weeding, planting, etc. We have a large home and LOTS of flower beds, it requires a lot of upkeep. All other exterior (and interior) maintenance of our home is done by us.