Super Contributor

What can I use to make my Hosta'so look healthier? They had holes all over the leaves last year. I  bought some of that Roberts bloom stuff last week...

Regular Contributor

Holes might mean slugs found your plants and enjoyed a lovely meal!!   If  you can trap one -- you can examine the thing and know for sure (leave a slightly damp newspaper left rolled up between the plants overnight and carefully remove and examine it the next morning).  Slugs like to crawl in that moist and dark environment the newspaper provides.

Once you know it is slugs ---- try looping copper wire around the base of the plants (there's some kind of electric reaction between the slug's body going across the copper and they explode); or try putting a dish of beer down under/between the hostas (with the rim of the bowl level with the soil) and the hostas slide in and get drunk---next morning your just scoop them out with a strainer or net and toss 'em in the trash; or try putting down a layer of diatomatious earth around the base of the plants (the jagged edge rips the bodies of the little suckers apart).  The copper is not effected by weather (i.e., rain or watering the plants) but the beer and diatomatious earth will need to be replenished after a storm or a heavy watering session.

I'm sure there are lots of other solutions you can find by searching "slug repellant."

Esteemed Contributor

I use neem oil on my outdoor plants and flowers as a disease and insect deterrent. You can do an internet search to read more about using neem oil in the garden.  Esthetically speaking, neem oil gives plant leaves a beautiful sheen.  I also sometimes use a product which is specifically intended for eradicating insects.  The brand I generally buy is Garden Safe.  It is not an expensive brand and can be found at many local garden centers and hardware stores.  Since your problem is insects you may be particularly interested in trying: 

Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap Insect Killer Ready-To-Use Liquid

Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap Insect Killer

Esteemed Contributor

If you have a real fireplace...the ash from it mixed in the soil around the plants helps with the slugs...

Honored Contributor

Also crushed eggshells around your hostas helps-- it can cut into their skin.

There are various products that either repel them from hostas and those that kill them. Read labels in the nurseries for which one you want. If you have pets or small children that are inclined to putting things in their mouth, you may want to go with the repellants.

Both products need to be reapplied around the hostas or among them after heavy rains or sprinklers hitting them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I live in the land of slugs (PNW) and have hostas in my yard and nothing looks worse than chewed on leaves.  I recommend Sluggo.  It is not cheap but it is safe for wildlife and pets.  It is easy to find.  I got my last jug of it at Costco - I think is was about $24.  You do have to put it down several times if you get a lot of rain. 

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne   I agree with you, Sluggo works well but you have to apply it regularly.  It's one of the safer products around kids and pets as I remember. 

I completely gave gave up on hostas. The slugs won.

Honored Contributor

I love using the eggshells; put down a thick layer before the hostas start growing, and they are good to go for the whole season.    

Esteemed Contributor

@KayinMN wrote:

What can I use to make my Hosta'so look healthier? They had holes all over the leaves last year. I  bought some of that Roberts bloom stuff last week...

Snails love, love, love hostas. That's where the "holes" are likely from. I have to be diligent with the slug bait around my hostas or the leaves begin to resemble swiss cheese.  Personally, I think any reputable fertilizer will help ~ although I never fertilize my hostas and they do really well if the escargot is kept at bay.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Fertilizer is good for growth but slug bait is good to either kill or repel the slugs/snails.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼