Honored Contributor

Question about starting a ****** Willow Tree from Cuttings

Our December weather has been so curiously mild that several of our plants have been tricked into premature blooming.

We took cuttings today from a large ****** Willow tree with the idea of starting a tree on a second property, but the buds are already opening.

Should I try to root it and keep it in a pot inside until normal Spring, or root it and try to get it in the ground outside before we actually have a hard frost?

I'm in the NYC Tri-state area, where it was in the high '60's on Christmas Day.

Thanks for your help!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about starting a ****** Willow Tree from Cuttings

... oh WOW I thought you where asking about a WEEPING Willow tree ...

Trusted Contributor

GOOGLE - rooting a ***** willow tree.  There is a tremendous amount of information there.

Esteemed Contributor

Wish I knew what kind of willow you're talking about....can you give me a hint?!

Honored Contributor

I didn't write my original post with coding, but since it contained a word that can be used inappropriately, it was edited. That was just fine with me. 

As a clarification, all I wish to add is "Meow!"

Hope that's OK.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann

What you want to do is root a Pu$$y willow? Woman Happy

I would start the cuttings inside and monitor them until the spring. Your cuttings will be a lot stronger for planting. I am in the NY tristate area also and so far we really haven't had the ground do a winter freeze yet due to the weird warmth we have had this December.

I think if you attempted to root them indoors and planted outside before the ground freezes, you may lose your cuttings since they are young. Let them grow in a pot over the winter to plant in spring outside.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

Our December weather has been so curiously mild that several of our plants have been tricked into premature blooming.

We took cuttings today from a large ****** Willow tree with the idea of starting a tree on a second property, but the buds are already opening.

Should I try to root it and keep it in a pot inside until normal Spring, or root it and try to get it in the ground outside before we actually have a hard frost?

I'm in the NYC Tri-state area, where it was in the high '60's on Christmas Day.

Thanks for your help!

This variety (as well as curly willow) is VERY east to grow from cuttings.

My neighbor owns a florist shop and we rooted some curly willow (the kind used in floral arrangements). We now have a 7 foot TREE in a huge pot on our front patio. She calls it the "Tree that grows in Brooklyn"!

We just rooted sprigs, and then placed it in soil. Both willows do well if kept moist..they grow well in marshy areas in the wild.

Honored Contributor

If you can give them enough light, I'd keep them inside. And these days getting a small plant enough light is no real challenge. Daylight (6500 K) bulbs are very common in CFL, flourescent, and LED configurations and can be used to supplement whatever light you've got naturally available.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@violann

Willows love water so much (most any kind of willow), that if I were you, I'd take some cuttings and just put them in a container with water and soon you will see roots.  You can also root some cuttings in soil so you'll have both sets to choose from.

I've even rooted those XXX willows as well as curly willows that were part of floral arrangements and then put them in pots outdoors eventually.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Easy, easy! Last year I cut some of the branches of my tree and put them in a container with water; in time time they had rooted. I just kept them that way until spring and then planted them.  Good luck!