Regular Contributor

Has anyone used the Vegtrug Garden Planter?

I ordered, M78550, the Vegtrug planter on the early TSV offer.  I am a brown thumb gardner, so it occured to me:  do you have to put holes in the liner that comes with it?  Otherwise, wouldn't the plants drown?  And would that make kind of a mucky mess on the decorative shelf below?

I get a lot of rain where I live, so any advice would be very appreciated. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone used the Vegtrug Garden Planter?

I have a Vegtrug planter that I bought from QVC about 4 years ago.  It looks the same but it had eight dividers with eight individual cloth liners.  The wood has held up very well.  We sprayed it with a clear coat matte sealer to make sure it would hold up to the weather.  You don't have to do anything to the cloth liner.  Water evaporates.  Even when you water with the hose or it rains there isn't dirty water going down onto your items stored on the bottom shelf.  It's a good buy.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I got one last year.  To me, it isn't deep enough to plant much.  I planted parsley, basil, rosemary and snapdragons.  The parsley was the only thing that grew okay. 

Everything else barely grew and the roots got all entangled with the liners and I had to throw them away.  The basil just kept dying.  I'm not using it this year.  It was a waste of money for me.

Respected Contributor

@JK7 wrote:

I have a Vegtrug planter that I bought from QVC about 4 years ago.  It looks the same but it had eight dividers with eight individual cloth liners.  The wood has held up very well.  We sprayed it with a clear coat matte sealer to make sure it would hold up to the weather.  You don't have to do anything to the cloth liner.  Water evaporates.  Even when you water with the hose or it rains there isn't dirty water going down onto your items stored on the bottom shelf.  It's a good buy.

I never sprayed anything on mine. but I do take it in in the winter, I also have 8 pockets. 

Trusted Contributor

@SewHappy2 I actually have two.  One that looks like the TSV, the other is graduated, looks like a "V" -

You do not poke holes i the liner, water will run through it but the dirt stays in the trug. 

The one suggestion I would make to anyone ordering- Head to the hardware store and grab some sturdy wheels to add to the legs so you can move it around. Once plants/dirt/water go in it's planted where it is.  The sun moves and some plants may need more sun/Shade.  When I plan out what is going in for the season I make sure the sun plants are in one, shadier in the other and I can wheel it around adjust it on my patio to the where the sun is during the day.

Price on the TSV is very competitive.  My original was about 250/300.  My rectangular was about the TSV price

Good luck gardening! You'll have green thumbs in no time! 

Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for the good avice and encouragment!  

Clever idea to spray with something protective.

And I will definitely see about putting on wheels.

Frequent Contributor

This looks very nice, however I agree with other posters on the depth.   I would think if you wanted to plant tomatoes or other vegetables it would not be deep enough for the root system.   Another good planter is called EarthBox.   They have ones that are deep enough for planting vegetables, plus they come with wheels.   The price is pretty comparable to the Vegtrug Garden Planter.