Occasional Visitor

I'm a retired backyard gardener. I watch for new and beautiful live plants on QVC all the time. My issue is that you NEVER share with us any information as to "zone". 

And this: more importantly, you never share if this is for shady, partial shade or full sun. 

These are as important to an average gardener as the decision to purchase. 

PLEASE Include this information

Debbie, California

Esteemed Contributor

Agreed @Debie357 .

Also, 

"Common" plant names can&do differ by area of the country.

Don't understand why QVC doesn't simply list the Latin name of the plant in the description so I can look it up before ordering. 

Why would I buy a plant when I'm guessing about it's identification?

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Don't understand why QVC doesn't simply list the Latin name of the plant in the description so I can look it up before ordering. 

Why would I buy a plant when I'm guessing about it's identification?

I agree - they should give us the common or Latin name so we can look it up before ordering.  Instead, they give it a cute name that they made up.  I think they do it just to prevent comparison shopping.

Esteemed Contributor

@Debie357  I agree with @ValuSkr  about them not providing the Latin name. Once you start searching for the plants online, you can often find them at a cheaper price. I have found that the "growing guide" is often included as a pdf on the item page. And, the item description does sometimes have the zones and sun and shade requirements. But, QVC could do a better job requiring specifics from the vendors. I think I have heard Philip Watson ( and Carolyn) talk about the importance of having tomatoes in full sun for 8 hours. But, if the host doesn't know, or know enough to ask the vendor, it gets missed. The best bet is to do your online research - both for price and for growing instructions.

Honored Contributor

Consider that QVC is in the business of selling plants to the general public, most of whom are not botanists. The more information they provide, the more people they exclude from buying a particular plant and the more confusion they create. Roberta's in particular has sold many exotic plants with which the average person has no chance of success. They are best suited to being grown in a greenhouse by a professional.  They are a pet peeve of mine.

Go buy your plants in a local nursery for the best chance of success.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have not had good luck with the plants from QVC. So I shop local only now. I really wanted my Roberta's lavendars to grow. They did for a while and I wrote a good review. I am done with purchasing from QVC though because they do not tell you the zones until the plant is delivered to you. Roberta's puts information on when to plant with their deliveries but even that I have found is too late for reality around where I live. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am not an avid gardener but DH is and loves to plant flowers.  Years ago when we still had our home I ordered him some Cottage Farms plants.  Well to  make a long story short they were a disaster.  Now, my hubby researched  and was careful with the location of planting, soil, on and on.   They did give us replacements the following season but not without an attitude, which dismayed me?   The next year, same thing, plants just didn't make it.  That was the first and last time I ordered flowers from the Q.........Now we always buy local and have never had another issue.