Esteemed Contributor

HELP, Please-------used lawn tractors?

We are thinking about purchasing a used lawn tractor. Our lot is irregular and has slopes and small hills. I don't know how long these tractors are expected to last. This Craftsman has been repaired and slight refurbished. It looks nice but I'm nervous about it since it's appox. 15 years old. A friend of a friend has it for sale but knows no history about it. The other problem is how to get it home.  Any advice that you can suppy will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. 

Valued Contributor

Re: HELP, Please-------used lawn tractors?

Size of lawn tractor depends on the size of property you are going to mow. I would ask your local nursery if they can suggest someone who services lawn tractors to check out especially the engine and tires. They would also know where you can get transport for moving lawn tractors. We have a horse farm and lawn tractors take a beating. One thing I would like to mention is anytime you are buying used lawn equipment make sure you spray everything; underside, tires, everything with a good insecticide/pesticide. There is nothing worse than bringing diseases from other properties over to yours. Spray everything leave for a day or two and then hose down. You should actually do this on a regular basis even if your equipment is used only on your  property.

Honored Contributor

We lived in our home for 28 years and in that time we had 3 lawn tractors. My DH cut the grass , pulled out bushes and small trees with it , hauled a ton of leaves and debris and plowed snow if it wasn't too deep with his tractors. The first 2 were White brand and the last one was a Briggs and Stratton. That one lasted us 10 years and when we moved we gave it to my niece who is still using it for 5 more years. The Craftsman ones get a good rating from Consumer reports.

Esteemed Contributor

15 years is pretty old for a tractor isn't it? How long are you expecting it to last? Can you buy a factory refurbished one or have someone look at it first? Good luck OP.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this tractor decision. The age of it had me nervous to take a chance and I really don't like to spend $ on anything unless it's going to last.  We considered this because it's getting more difficult to maintain our lot with the all of the hills, etc with our mower.  You all have given me great tips and suggestions for when we do get a tractor. In the mentime, I'm crossing my fingers that our mower will hold out for this season. Thanks again for your help.   

Respected Contributor

Farm equipment is built to last longer than cars and regular lawn mowers. They last decades and decades.  They are made to be able to be rebuilt and fixed and not traded or junked.

Honored Contributor

Craftsman used to be a quality name in the world of mowers, and if this mower was refurbished by someone who knows what they're doing, it may go for several more years. The very first riding mower we owned was a very well used Sears Craftsman my husband purchased from his dad. Despite its rough looks, that mower ran like a top for us, for about 8 years. An unexpected windfall, prompted my husband to buy our first new mower, but that Craftsman was snapped up by someone who had the exact same model, and was looking for replacement parts. That mower was at least 22+ years old before it quit running. As for getting this lawn tractor home, if you decide to buy it, just find someone who has a low-boy trailer to haul it for you.
Esteemed Contributor

My hubby has a John Deere that he got in 1997 that only needed routine repairs. I think the older mowers were more well made....