Trusted Contributor

Growing Tomatoes in a Container

Last year I grew my tomatoes in a container.  But, I think I had blight.  Is there anyway to use the same soil?  Can I put anything in the soil to kill the blight spores, or do I have to empty the containers, bleach them, and put new soil in the containers?

Thanks for your help.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Growing Tomatoes in a Container

Why would you use contaminated dirt?  A bag of fresh soil = a few bucks.

Google "Blight - several conditions cause it.

Honored Contributor

No!  In fact, even if you're planting them in the ground, you should vary the location yearly.  If you use the sane container, scrub it with a bleach solution before reusing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss  Ditto @Kachina624  and @fthunt  Get rid of that soil and use packaged potting soil or other clean soil. Take note of the bleach suggestion. I have been growing tomatoes in containers since I gave up my veggie garden. I always clean my containers with a weak bleach solution. Same for any stakes you plan to use for supporting the tomatoes.

Honored Contributor

By the way container growers, I saw the prettiest tomato cages at Home Depot this week in COLORS.  I'm not growing anything but those cages were so pretty I was tempted because one color choice was TURQUOISE!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

You have gotten some very good advice about growing tomatoes in the same container as last year.  I empty the old soil into a plastic bag and use it in my flower beds like mulch.  Last year when I was in a nursery I noticed they had tomato plants growing out of a bag of miracle grow plant soil.  This year I bought a 25 quart bag and placed it in a empty container to see if I could grow a tomato plant just in the bag.  This tomato plant is just as big and healthy as the other tomato plants.  I will admit it seems to need more water than the other plants.  This year I planted squash plants in a container used for tomatoes last year and the plants are doing fine in the old potting soil.  I am getting too old to plant in the ground.