Super Contributor

Does anyone have a suggestion on weeds in your flower garden. I can pull weeds but the big ones can't hardly remove. Should ai use mulch.

Honored Contributor

I use mulch, but you do need to weed first. You could lay cardboard or newspapers underneath the mulch.  I sometimes do that with larger areas.  I have a hand tool I use for hand weeding that gets underneath the roots.  If you don't get the roots, they just grow back.  Basically, it was one of those 3-pronged hand cultivators where the two outer prongs broke off because the solder point failed.  For larger areas I bought a Japanese type hoe on QVC that you can push.  It seems to get underneath the roots better than a traditional hoe for me.  It's not cheap, but I like it.  M55625.  Hubby thought he might be able to use it for the weeds that grow along the curb cracks, but I thnk it might be too thick for that.  

Respected Contributor

For the big ones you can't pull out, cut it off close to the ground.  Then use a bottle of Weed B Gone and carefully spray the stump real good.  Don't get it on your flowers.  The spray will penetrate to the roots and kill the weed.  Some people use Preen but I don't know if that will work on big weeds.

Honored Contributor

Stay on top of your weeding and pull them before they get big.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If the weeds that big, make sure you also keep on top of them seeding.  It is going to take awhile to get this back under control.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flower garden help

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

For the big ones you can't pull out, cut it off close to the ground.  Then use a bottle of Weed B Gone and carefully spray the stump real good.  Don't get it on your flowers.  The spray will penetrate to the roots and kill the weed.  Some people use Preen but I don't know if that will work on big weeds.

Preen only works for preventing weed seeds from germinating. You might be able to use a trowel to remove the bigger weeds. But as someone mentioned, if you want to use mulch, weed first then apply a 3" layer of mulch around your plants. 

On bare soil areas, I weed, then sprinkle the Preen without fertilizer & then apply the mulch. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Re: Flower garden help

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 Good idea but I think some of my weeds are on steroids because they may be small on a Monday and by Tuesday they are fifty feet tall.  Ok, maybe not that tall but boy do they grow - like weeds! Smiley LOL