Honored Contributor

I have harvested my first ever cucumber and it was grown in a container.  I grew a variety called Spacemaster that specifically states that it is good for containers.  The only place in my yard that gets sun is in the front, so I have it kinda hidden in the back of my pollinator flower garden I put there.  I also have a dwarf okra and patio eggplant plants in containers flanking my front door steps.  I planted some draping plants in the okra containers to kinda hide the fact that I'm growing veggies at the entrance to my house.

1st cuke.jpg

JUL 11 2020 Cucumber.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Looks great! Nothing better than homegrown veggies!

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess  That’s a very nice looking cucumber. 

Esteemed Contributor

image.png

Congrats!!!! 

Feel your joy and pride. Almost like a new baby.

My Dad used to have a vegetable garden.

Your photo made me smile as it brought back fond memories..  

Esteemed Contributor

so yummy with a sprinkle of salt!!

Honored Contributor

Excellent job. I got my first green pepper. Still waiting on tomatoes.

Respected Contributor

I live in the southern part of NC and planted my first patio garden this year. I used to have a huge garden when I lived in Rochester NY.  

Planted late...haven't gotten any ripe tomatoes, but have picked a few eggplants, mini-green peppers, and some squash. 

I really like the smell of the tomato plants better than the taste of the tomatoes. LOL 

Hope you enjoy your veggies !!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have harvested my first ever cucumber and it was grown in a container.  I grew a variety called Spacemaster that specifically states that it is good for containers.  The only place in my yard that gets sun is in the front, so I have it kinda hidden in the back of my pollinator flower garden I put there.  I also have a dwarf okra and patio eggplant plants in containers flanking my front door steps.  I planted some draping plants in the okra containers to kinda hide the fact that I'm growing veggies at the entrance to my house.

1st cuke.jpg

JUL 11 2020 Cucumber.jpg

Congratulations! Looks perfect! We will try to plant it next year. Enjoy!

Super Contributor

@Icegoddess .... Oh it's a beauty! Isn't it delightful to get your first harvest?

I cut my first one today, too! I have mine growing in a Kiddie Pool garden on my deck.

First Cuke.jpg

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

@Tabbycat, mine just became Cucumber Salad.  Already another in the fridge and one on the plant that looks ready to harvest.  My personal bumblebee was working hard pollinating those flowers when I was out checking on things morning.  Hopefully, he is also finding my patio eggplants since they are blooming too.